Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 SW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told I posted the below on a dead or zombie thread so I will repost here. Was surfing the forum and found someone looking for a couple of good loads for the SW 460 so I posted the below earlier in the week. Hope this is in the right place. I enjoy all of the post in this forum. Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.

I have been using Accurate 5744 at 34.2 grains with 240 grain Hornady XTP HP and large rifle primers with good results. Went up to 40 grains with same. The 5744 is a slower burn and has proved to be more Accurate (no pun intended). The 250-300 pound porker was tagged with the 34.2 grain load at 40 yards from my ground blind, right in the oil pump. Also, one noteworthy appliance that I have added to my bipod. Invented or came up with it two years ago and is easy to make. When hunting from a ground position It enhances the stability about 10-fold and is more maneuverable than anything I have use or tried in the past.

Rectangle Font Wood Indoor games and sports Pattern

Hat Wood Natural material Baseball cap Cap

Plant Automotive tire Helmet Mammal Flash photography

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,686 Posts
Good shootin'!!! Like the stabilizing mod as well. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice porker! The 460S&W Mag is no slouch. I've never tried Accurate 5744. What velocities can you get with it under those 240s?

Please share more images of the stability appliance you invented. I could use more stability on my tripod; the plain yoke just ain't enough sometimes.

Merry Christmas!

Was told I posted the below on a dead or zombie thread so I will repost here. Was surfing the forum and found someone looking for a couple of good loads for the SW 460 so I posted the below earlier in the week. Hope this is in the right place. I enjoy all of the post in this forum. Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.

I have been using Accurate 5744 at 34.2 grains with 240 grain Hornady XTP HP and large rifle primers with good results. Went up to 40 grains with same. The 5744 is a slower burn and has proved to be more Accurate (no pun intended). The 250-300 pound porker was tagged with the 34.2 grain load at 40 yards from my ground blind, right in the oil pump. Also, one noteworthy appliance that I have added to my bipod. Invented or came up with it two years ago and is easy to make. When hunting from a ground position It enhances the stability about 10-fold and is more maneuverable than anything I have use or tried in the past.

View attachment 103397
View attachment 103398
View attachment 103396

·
Registered
460 SW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 40 grain load is around 1820 and the 34.2 is close to 1350 or so. Not super fast but accurate. Will get more photos of the crutch as I like to call it. It’s easy to make. Was thinking about having my machine shop bud crank one out but it’s to simple make it out a piece of flat iron. That way you can bend it for minor adjustments. May make a grip butt cradle for it.

·
Registered
460 SW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some pics of the Crutch. 1” flat stock. May make the next one out of 1 1/4” just for the sake of tinkering. Not too pretty but if you make one you will definitely notice the difference. I installed some Velcro and pull it over the scope and bind it to itself. Keeps the whole thing more solid, you still have a few degrees of lateral and horizontal movement. You saw it here first.

Outerwear Helmet Automotive tire Flash photography Sports gear

Glove Gesture Wrist Thumb Personal protective equipment

Hand Outerwear Shoulder Arm Leg

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Font

Wood Gas Personal protective equipment Wire Auto part

Helmet Glove Human body Sleeve Gesture

Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Wrist Font Fashion accessory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts