Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lee makes a .475 cal, 400gr RF, PB mould. Does anyone know what the meplat of this bullet is and why it is a PB? At a max SAMMI of 48,000 psi I would think that a gascheck would be mandatory? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ive never measured it but they call it a round flat its actually a lfn and is the most accurate bullet in mine and my buddys linebaugh built guns I cast it from 5050 ww linotype and have absoultly no leading even at max pressures. Its a great bullet in a not so great mold. I wish theyd make a steel one!

·
Banned
8 Posts
Lloyd Smale said:
Ive never measured it but they call it a round flat its actually a lfn and is the most accurate bullet in mine and my buddys linebaugh built guns I cast it from 5050 ww linotype and have absoultly no leading even at max pressures. Its a great bullet in a not so great mold. I wish theyd make a steel one!
Are you having trouble with an aluminum mold? I found that when you lube and smoke them, they seem to last forever - and they don't rust.

·
Registered
173 Posts
no problems with aluminum molds in general I have nei and lbt molds that work great. Some of the lees are junk though and its just pot luck as to what you get. I have two of the .475s and there both good molds they might take a little extra care with them though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have one of those Lee molds. The bullet shoots on par with the LBT one that I shoot. Although I don't get as high of a percentage of keepers out of the Lee. That old saying "ya get what ya pay for.";) My sad story is that I had a LBT mold on order when Veral went under.

As far as gas checks go even though they dropped the pressure from 50,000 psi to 48,000, you still don't need them. Veral Smith told me that the 475 and 500's don't need a gas check. Even at full house max loads. And it is just now getting common to find Gas Checked molds for the 475.

I have been running full house loads in my 475 for 4 years. After a break in with jacketed bullets and fire lapping I get very little leading.

As far as meplate the closest that I can measure is about .335 I can't see it being over .340. It sure isn't .360 I wish it was. Maybe the newer molds are that dimension but I hadn't heard of any changes in it.
Will

1 - 6 of 6 Posts