Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made volume comparison measures of the Buffalo Bore and Hornady .475 Linebaugh cases?  

Most of the load data I have seen uses Buffalo Bore brass.  My gun was made to shoot converted 45-70 cases, and I've never used anything else.  I have been led to believe that the Buffalo Bore case capacity is smaller than converted 45-70, so I have never been worried about using the load data.  

Now I have purchased the new Hornady brass.  My measurements show Hornady cases hold 51.1 grains of water versus 52.8 grains in the converted 45-70 cases.  No big surprise there.  What I don't know is how the Buffalo Bore capacity compares.

If someone can measure this, I would sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
once fired bba cases,
capacity full of water = 50.2gr
I have not used any hornady cases in the fa but have heard reports of case walls being a little thick for the tight chambered revolvers?? let me know how it holds up.         jim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If our capacity figures are comparable, the Hornady cases are larger.  I have also heard the same thing about the case walls being thicker, but that would seem to give them a smaller capacity.  Something doesn't add up.

I have shot factory Hornady ammo (400gr XTP/Mag) in my Bowen Bisley and measured velocities close to the claimed 1350.  Cases fell out with no visible signs of pressure.

I am reloading the cases with the Beartooth 420gr WFNGC and will be shooting them soon.  I will give a report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts