Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be ordering Freedoom Arms model 83 , 475 linebaugh -- with extra 480 ruger cyl. (to keep arm attched to body ) only problem is barrel lenght .... custom 5 1/2 " --- 6" or 7 1/2" standard lenght .. no plans for mounting scope... any thoughs about how gun will react in hand with diff. barrel lenghs.. most likely 2-port short barrels...might 4-port 7 1/2 barrel...thanks .. ( can't type and spell worse ) farmer 45

·
Registered
471 Posts
farmer 45 you will do better over all with a longer barrel, if you can get a bullbarrel even better for muzzel flip and better to take aim with, Thats why I like the 454 SuperRedHawk with a heavy barrel, that 475 will give you a wakeup call for sure, what are you hunting with that beast Trex LOL;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
41 Posts
i bought the 475 -7-1/2" bll w/the 480 cylinder,the barrel will flip more w 5 or 6" barrel ,and you will get a little better velocity w/longer barrel, longer sight plane also does help in real world shooting/hunting,i did not port so cant help you there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Farmer
My suggestion is to go for the 7 1/2 or the 10 in barrel. The 7 1/2 is somewhat easier to pack till you scope it and then it gets a little more bulky. I would also suggest that you forgo the porting till you shoot the gun for a while, you can always send it to Larry Kelly and have the ports added, they're a little harder to take off. I personally have'nt fired full house 475 loads but don't have any problem with the 480 in several loadings upto 425g. The 480 seems to shine with the 375 to 400g bullets. In fact the 375g at 1400 fps is so nice you may not even want to bother with the 475 cylinder. I am assuming you are going to use the gun primarly for hunting otherwise a 5 1/2 in would be the way to go for packin and back-up. With iron sights you still have a short range hunting gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to port or not to port that is the question

thanks jdt634 &475/480 ...... will port after extensive shooting to find out true need ... right now i have 0ne short barrel 454 4 3/4 " and an encore 10"bull .. the bull 10" seems hard to hold out there because of weight... thats why i was thinking about shorter 475.... i will let you know later farmer 45

1 - 5 of 5 Posts