Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "American Handgunner", Sept/Oct 2001 issue I received today has a major listing of loads tested by John Taffin. Six different powders and bullets ranging from 325gr. to 435gr with velocities from 805 to 1349 fps are listed as part of the 86 different loads in the article.  The load table lists bullet, charge, velocity, energy and TKO.

Good & safe shooting

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dan,
Sent you a response to your e-mail, and your posts answers my question on which issue I have to look for. I am really looking forward to it, since I've been having so much fun with it! By tomorrow, I will have put over 1000 rounds through my .480 SRHK, in the last few weeks. Shot several 1 1/4" and under 50 yard 5 shot groups today, with my new 310 LFN, and the wind was really blowing. Glad I got this mold in a 4 cavity cast iron mold, because its going to be my everyday playing bullet. Have only gone up to 1250fps type loads with it so far, but owe how mild the recoil is. Feel guilty leaving my other calibers at home, but this round just shoots! I guess I'm one of the few, who like the SRHK platform, but just like the option of the optics, especially for developing and testing loads. Will pack this 7 1/2" barrel(until they come out with a shorter barrel)with iron sights, but will pack a scope in my pack just in case. I have installed and removed the scope numerous times, and it gets right back to zero with no problems. Hope everyone else tries out this cartridge, because I feel it has a lot of potential, within reach of most shooters, who wants a big bore, but cannot afford a custom, or handle the really big boomers! Just put in an order to Marshall, to try out his 335 grainer too! Since I got a big can of the old 2400(red metal can), I've been trying to develop a load with it for the HOCH 335 SWC I've been shooting, along with the above mentioned 310 LFN. I've had some good results, with a 390 LFN at around 1200fps, and would like a 420 grain at the same velocity, for my heavy game load. But for now, I'm searching for a good everyday load for my 310 LFN. Thanks again Dan, for the tip on the article, and hope to see what loads are in the article. Would like to hear others results also, on this cartridge, and hope we can get a .480 load swap going, on this site!

·
Registered
59 Posts
HHI 812,
Just wondering who built your 4 cavity LBT style mold.  I am currently looking for one for my .475 Linebaugh.  It sounds like you like it so it must be in good quality.

Thanks and God Bless,

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought the first one to make it to my favorite gunshop in Des Moines back in May; have put several hundred rounds of factory stuff and handloads through it.  I have a mold for it on order from NEI, have been playing with the 370 gr. Cast Performance bullet in the meantime.  Can't wait for Marshall's product I have on order to get here!  With the 370 and 25 grs of H110 I've gotten 1.5" groups at 50 yds.  Really, really like the gun and the round.  I think Ruger has a real winner.  The gunshop I go to in DSM has had three of them in, none stayed on the shelf more than two days.  They also do now have the Raging Bull in that caliber out on the market.  Be interesting to see how the two guns compare.  May just have to buy one and see...    :cool:
Good shooting
Mark

(Edited by mcassill at 12:16 pm on July 20, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Concerning the loads for the New .480 Ruger.  It sounds like you gentlemen are really getting some powder burned in your new guns.

Loading data is a little thin as far as published loads go.  Would it be possible, for those of you who are loading for the .480 Ruger to be so kind as to take a few minutes and share your loading data that you have developed in LoadSwap.com?  It would be a great benefit to all, and the loads there, unlike here on the forum, where posts tend to get buried over a period of time, the loads on LoadSwap.com are easily accessed, and will be viewed by many, if the data is made available.

Many thanks!  Your participation will make loading the new .480 Ruger more enjoyable and successful for many!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The referenced article has a table listing 86 different .480 Ruger loads.  Since I don't have a .480 to test with, I thought it might be helpful if I listed the Taffin "favorite" loads and then you can test them and submit your favorites to the LoadSwap.

He used Hornady brass and Federal #155 Magnum Large Pistol primers. He assembled the cartridges using RCBS .475 Linebaugh dies and sprayed the brass with Midway's Spray-Oon Lube -- obviously used a heavy crimp.

" To duplicate Horady's factory loading on the 325gr. XTP-HP at a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps, I came up with the following: Lil'Gun, 23.0 grs. for 1350, 25.0 grs. of H110 or W296 for 1335 fps, 22.5 grs. of AA#9 for 1370 fps, 21.0 grs. of VVN110 1325 fps and I elected to stop at 26.0 grs. of H4227 for 1275."

"Favorite loads using heavyweight hard cast bullets in the 1100 to 1200 fps range are 390 LBT over 21.0 grs. of H110 for 1210, 395 gr. LBT over the same charge for 1234 fps, 425 gr. with 19.0 grs. of H110 for 1145 fps, and 435 gr. SWC and 19.0 grs. of H110 for 1178 fps."

" All of these are high up on the Taylor Knock Out scal, 30.0+, without providing excessive recoil to the shooter. I also like the 370 LBT at 1200 to 1300 fps with several powders and I see myself using all of these bullets mostly with 20.0 grs. of H4227 for loads in the 1000 fps category that are not only most pleasant to shoot but will handle anything short of the big bears."

Respectfully plagiarized,

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts