Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area that is similar to central Europe, we have seasons and rolling hills. In the past we had some sub zero days and now we are having more snow. The summers do get warm, but not balzing hot. In some places you can't see beyond 200 yards and others are clear view of several valleys.

I own an Colt AR-15 HBAR NM and a Springfield M1A Ultra Match, for hunting and to hold off rampaging herds of city folks if the whole things goes to heck in a handbasket, which of the 2 would be your choice to survive with?

Jerry

·
Banned
39 Posts
Would dpend on a number of factors. Solo - scoot & boot or hunker down with a crew, how long, how far? Too many variables to make a definative choice. Zombies or no zombies.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be Katie and I, she would be my loader. We would hunker down. The distances go from just under 200 yards to out to 500 yards. No Zombies.

Jerry

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it was me I would want my M1A . Reason being I am not the military I would not shoot to wound I would shoot to kill and to me a 22 cal. slug just is not big enough granted the 308 could just go right thew them but there would be more damage and would probably knock them down at the least. If you hit a druggy a 22 casl. slug for the most part it just pisses them of. I have talked to quite a few Po Lice man and they tell me to protect your self for a crack addict BIGGER IS BETTER.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind a figured the M1A or similar would work. In close quaters combat or for tight urban assaut, I would use something like the M4 or an AK, better yet an MP5.

But for my situation, the M1A is my choice. Or my M21 Civilian version

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
If it was me doing the shooting I'd go for 7.62. 50 years of combat has shown the 5.56 will stop a man but the 7.62 will do it better. Many GI's I've talked to returning from service have related experiences of shooting bad guys several times to seal the deal with 5.56's.

As civilians we can use more effective ammo and that would close the gap in performance between the two.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Day time bunkered in the M1A. Out and about and at night the AR as it is more modular and lighter. I'll add a light to the forearm and call it. I've carried both in Iraq but for all around use the M4. For survival you can also carry more 5.56 if out and about. Suggest you carry the M1A and let Katie stick to the AR (unless of course she has here own)

CD

·
Registered
99 Posts
5.56 loaded with varmint-type projectiles such as Sierra Varminter or Gameking, or Nosler Ballistic Tip are devastating...ever see what they do to ground hogs? I think that even a peripheral hit with one of those would take the fight right out of someone, make 'em change their mind in a hurry. The Geneva Convention does not allow those kinds of bullets in war, so our boys in uniform are stuck with ice pick-type projectiles; so in that situation, I'd venture to say that bigger IS better. I'm a .30 cal kind of guy myself, but I have lots of varmint-type bullets for my AR just for kinds of emergencies stated previously. My wife and kids can use the AR and the mini-14 while I use the .30 cal (M1A).

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
this thread is not about hunting or shooting, it is about the what if's.....

There are other forums on the web to do this....not here. Try AR15.com, The high Road, or Firing line.....or a survival forum.

Closed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.