Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great little gun I made up using 5.56 x 39 cases and using the same neck and shoulder angle as .22 PPC.
I did this because it was a way to get cheap brass (7.62 x 39 ) and I had just a bit more case capacity over the standard PPC due to the more tapered case of the military case.
I had it built on a CZ mini Mauser action with the trigger moved to turn it into a single shot "Unlimited" handgun for shooting steel silhouette (Half size). It looked just like a Remington XP 100, but was hand made and shot like crazy.

'Cos it used to blow holes straight through the chickens at 50 metres, I had to stop using my normal loads at the close range.

It shot very flat, and with the open sights adjusted for 200 metres, I had a top of leg hold for the chickens; centre shot for the pigs and turkeys at 100 & 150 metres respectively and a centre shot for the rams at 200. It used to hit the pigs about an inch high, and the others were spot on.

Chicken load was with a 50gr HP Taipan (locally manufactured in Australia) and the same powder load pushed the 64 / 65 offerings from Taipan or Hornady, for the pigs, turkeys and rams. It was easy to load, as the powder that I chose, gave me a full case load without compression.

It was just as good on the full size targets, but the ram (55 lbs weight) had to be hit right in the sweet spot for the little bullet to do its job.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this little round.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome,

Before Lapua 220 Russian brass there was Sako 220 Russian brass and when that dried up we made 6ppc brass from 7.62x39 brass and some made 22ppc.

I still have the form dies and I have couple hundred formed cases I shoot them every so often.

I had all that 7.62x39 brass then Lapua brass hit the market here so I decided to order 7.6x39 reamer for 30cal barrel. Gunsmith build me pretty nice short yardage target rifle used 1/18 twist barrel for the 30 cal BIB 112/118gr bullets.

Sound like you 22 on that case is pretty nice. Well good luck

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Welcome to the Shooter's Forum, glad you posted!

That .22 sounds sweet. Just curious wouldn't the 6mm work better on silhouettes?

Wondered about doing the same thing in 30 caliber for a short range hunting rifle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
G'day Monty F
Yep, the 6mm probably would be better on full size silhouette targets, but I was shooting this little gem on half size,
I also used the same Mini Mauser action and did the same thing with the 7.62 x 39 case on the 7mm. That shot like crazy too using a 1:9 and 139gn HPBT projectiles.

I tried changing the shoulder angle on the parent case and keeping the .311 cal (a .311 PPC for want of a better name). had this in a rifle with a 1:16. It was the original CZ barrel. Didn't work at all. I'm putting a 1:7 barrel in that action now and chambering it in 5.56 x 39 imp for a small varmint rifle. It will wear a 22" barrel and I'm expecting the same performance out of it as a rifle as I had in the unlimited handgun.
Cheers
Moonlight

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
G'day Monty F
Yep, the 6mm probably would be better on full size silhouette targets, but I was shooting this little gem on half size,
I also used the same Mini Mauser action and did the same thing with the 7.62 x 39 case on the 7mm. That shot like crazy too using a 1:9 and 139gn HPBT projectiles.

I tried changing the shoulder angle on the parent case and keeping the .311 cal (a .311 PPC for want of a better name). had this in a rifle with a 1:16. It was the original CZ barrel. Didn't work at all. I'm putting a 1:7 barrel in that action now and chambering it in 5.56 x 39 imp for a small varmint rifle. It will wear a 22" barrel and I'm expecting the same performance out of it as a rifle as I had in the unlimited handgun.
Cheers
Moonlight

You covered my next question with the comment on the 7mm.

What do you figure the optimum bore diameter is for that case?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled here, thinking I've missed something.
The parent case for the 5.56x39 is the 7.62x39 that's been around since the late 40's. The parent case for the 220 Russian is the 7.62x39. The parent case for the 22 PPC and 6mm PPC is the 220 Russian, or, cases can be made from 7.62x39, as mentioned above.
So, if you have a 5.56x39 xhamber cut to have the same neck and shoulder angle as a 22 PPC, isn't it a 22 PPC chamber?

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
The parent case for the 5.56x39 is the 7.62x39 that's been around since the late 40's. The parent case for the 220 Russian is the 7.62x39. The parent case for the 22 PPC and 6mm PPC is the 220 Russian, or, cases can be made from 7.62x39, as mentioned above.
So, if you have a 5.56x39 xhamber cut to have the same neck and shoulder angle as a 22 PPC, isn't it a 22 PPC chamber?

Basically yes, But there are loads of variations on the PPC involving different case taper, shoulder angles and neck diameters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Monty F
I think the 7mm is if you put a fast enough twist and use the 139 / 140 HPBT bullets.
I just like the .22 'cos it's so mild and does the job easily if you use different bullet weights.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The 7.62x39 has been around long time and the Sako 220 Russian case was based on that case in part. You can not make 7.x62x39 into 220 Russian or 6ppc brass. Sure I could form a 7.62x39 into a 6ppc or 220 Russian and it lacked 2 things. The two things the 7.62x39 case never had was small primer pocket and small flash hole .062".

If 220 Russian brass would make 22/6ppc brass why wouldn't they of use 7.62x39 brass instead since you have to fire form the brass anyway.

Sako and Norma made 22/6ppc brass and it was never as good as the 220 Russian case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts