Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just intersted in some data you are willing to share on the Marlin Rem. 35 .

I am advised that 40 gr. of IMR3031 under a 180 Speer is a good load as well as 34-38gr. of H335.

Then 220 FP and 35-39 gr.of RL 12.

200 Horn. RN with 34,2 of R#7.
What would be the best deer and bear round?

Happy

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Harry:
It's hard to beat the Remington 200 grain Core-Lokt in the .35 Remington. The Speer 180 grain flat nose is good too, but their 220 grain and the Hornady 200 grain round nose are too tough for reliable expansion at .35 Remington velocities.

Here's links to some old threads on .35 Remington bullets.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4453
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2279

40.0 grains of 3031 with the Speer 180 is a mite warm. I stop at 39.0 and that's at my own risk. Some of the old Speer data, like in their #7 manual, is way too hot with today's IMR 3031.

My favourite load is the 200 gr. Core-Lokt and 37.5 grains of IMR 3031, Winchester Primers and R-P cases.
http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle/35r_1_data.html

This is for Marlin 336s and stronger guns. Reduce to 36.0 grains for the old Remington autos and pumps.

RL-12 is not manufactured now, although I've heard it works well in the .35. I've also heard good things about RL-7 and H335, but I haven't tried them myself.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
I've had good luck with Varget, using bullets from the RCBS 200 gr. FN mould (sorry, don't have the mould number but it's a gas-check design).

Haven't reloaded any jacketed bullets yet.

Load data is not in front of me but I was using the Varget data for 200gr. jacketed bullets in Hodgon #27. Should be on-line at www.hodgdon.com for those who are interested.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
35 REM loads

Thanks for all of your help.
I laid some money on the Marlin today and will also start collecting Brass and dies.
You can play with powders and loads but it is nice to work from someone who had had some experiance loading a new round that is new to you.
Once again thank you very much for your trouble and time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
lossking - you might want to check out the Marlin 336 rifles talk forum on the marlin website. They've got a lot of reloading info on the .35 rem there and you can always post your question there. Good luck! CEJ..

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Here's a .35 Remington bullet test I did a while back.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4170

If you check out the second link in my first post, you'll see where Mr. Gates recommends Ken Waters' load with RL-7.

Generally most of the factory loads won't push a 200 grain bullet past 1950 feet per second, while most of the handloads will reach 2050-2100. This means the handloads are going as fast at 40 yards as the factory stuff is at the muzzle.

Benchresting a lever action is a bit of an art. Try it with the front bag at the rear of the fore end, rather than the middle, and be particular about repostioning the rifle after each shot. You're shooting a heavy bullet with a light rifle at low velocity, compared to a benchrester's outfit. That gives the bullet a better chance to move the rifle off the mark. Vertical stringing with a Marlin usually indicates tight fore end wood.

Some of the Marlin .35's have too short a throat for some cast bullets, including the Beartooth 200 grain Flat Nose. To check for a short throat without doing a chamber cast, drop a round into the chamber and note how much of the case is out of the barrel. The entire extractor groove is showing in my gun, but that's all. Now seat a 200 grain Core-Lokt 1/10th inch long and try it. If it doesn't go in as far as the round with the properly seated bullet or a fired case, you've got a short throat. You can give a fired case a bit of a push with a finger tip, but don't force a loaded round, just let it drop in. Preferrably make up a couple of dummy rounds for this, and don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lossking,

I've used that load of 34.0grs of RE7 and a 200gr bullet quite a bit in a Marlin 336. Shoots good, recoil in a lever is a bit stiff but managable. Be advised though that that load is no longer listed in reloading manuals, I got it from an older Lyman manual (I love older Lyman manuals) and it's safe in my gun. Load manuals today have downgraded loads quite a bit for some reason.

SSB

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
35 Rem. loads

Thanks for all you advise on reloads and the choice of bullets to be used .

The use of lead bulets was touched on just a bit.
What powsders were used? It was stated that some rifles were a bit short throated.Was the bores reamed abit for this of was idea the lead bullet scraped. I can get 205 grain as cast .:)

·
36,229 Posts
Harry, what's the mould design? If it's the RCBS 200gr. FN, it should work in the short Marlin throats.

If the bullet has to be seated a bit short of the crimping groove, easiest fix is to get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and just crimp where you need to. Won't hurt for the cast bullet to just contact the rifling at the lever is closed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Singleshotbuff - just a word of warning, some of the manuals have reduced their loads because of changes in the manufacturing process of the powder they used for the load data. Some of the people on another board who regularly chronograph their loads have noticed increases with the same loading data and the newer powder used in the load. CEJ..

·
Registered
184 Posts
CEJ,

Thanks for the warning, it is understood. I also think that some of the dara is downgraded out of fear of liabilty, in addition to the reason you point out. Just goes to show that only YOU can determine the maximum load in your gun.

SSB

·
Banned
8 Posts
35rem loads

I have been loading the 35 rem for my Marlin 336 for years. I hunt in the brush county of western wash. And just moved to Northern Cal. For deer I load 180 gr cor-lock rem. With 36 gr of IMR 4895. I get good expanes. Never had a deer get up after getting hit with this load. I also have a old colt 38 so I also use this cast bullet for plunking in my 35 rem. I load 35.5 gr of IMR 3031. these or silver cast bullets I buy form OREGON TRAIL BULLETS out of Bend Ore. they are pretty cheap.($36.00 a 1000) . they shoot realy well and do'nt lead the bore. wicth makes for easy clean up. I know that I enjoy shooting this round very much. have fun and be safe. mark:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Singleshotbuff, thanks for the info and CEJ1895, thanks for the warning. Haven't had a chance to reply sooner due to website problems. Will work up slowly, in .5 grain increments. to 34.0 grains of Reloader 7, signs of excess pressure permitting. Will post results as soon as I can get to the range. Regards.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
35 lead loading

MikeG said:
I've had good luck with Varget, using bullets from the RCBS 200 gr. FN mould (sorry, don't have the mould number but it's a gas-check design).

Haven't reloaded any jacketed bullets yet.

Load data is not in front of me but I was using the Varget data for 200gr. jacketed bullets in Hodgon #27. Should be on-line at www.hodgdon.com for those who are interested.
Hornady lists 39.5 as max for the 200 gr HD rn bullet. Is this what you used with your 200 gr lead round? I take for granted that this was a GG round.
Has anyone tried 357 pistol bullets in this case.
My rifle has the ballard rifling in it.
I was thinking of trying the 158 GG lead 358 dia.

I am starting with 180 gr. speer and IMR 3031 powder and federal gold match primers.
On order is the RCBS 200 gr. GG from The Bullet Barn
Tell Ya how I made out Pardner

Harry:cool:

·
36,229 Posts
Harry, I went up to 39 grains. Haven't had a chance to chrono the load, thought. The 38 and 39 grain loads were the most accurate, I started at 36 grains. Yes this is the same gas-check bullet that you are ordering. I think mine weighted about 208 grains. I got them from Lynn Halstead at Dry Creek Bullets. His contact information is over somewhere on www.sixgunner.com.

My gun has Microgroove and I was worried that the bullets wouldn't be big enough (really should have 0.360" for my gun) but with the full-pressure loads made the bullet slug up enough, I guess.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MikeG said:
Harry, I went up to 39 grains. Haven't had a chance to chrono the load, thought. The 38 and 39 grain loads were the most accurate, I started at 36 grains. Yes this is the same gas-check bullet that you are ordering. I think mine weighted about 208 grains. I got them from Lynn Halstead at Dry Creek Bullets. His contact information is over somewhere on www.sixgunner.com.

My gun has Microgroove and I was worried that the bullets wouldn't be big enough (really should have 0.360" for my gun) but with the full-pressure loads made the bullet slug up enough, I guess.

Hope this helps.
:)
Mike you have been a great help. My gun was made in 54. It has been around, by the amount of bluing that was left on the reciever, and the honest dings on the stock. Inside itis as good as new. I touched up the blueng and put an oil finsh on the stock.
I will shoot it more in the next few years as it has had in it past life.
My 1895 has a chrome polish now with the lead I have pasted through the bore . My 44 mag is as shiny as chrome.
I will put lead through this baby too.
Thanks again for your help
Harry ( Happy):)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts