Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to get into a territory where someone will try a load intended for a 5-shot 45 Colt in a gun of lesser strength but could anyone who has loaded for these guns e-mail me their recommended load.  I have a Gary Reeder 5-shot 45, 5" barrel and Trailrider grip frame that works great with heavy bullets 325 up to 340 but do not have any info for 265 - 300 grain bullets.  Any suggestions most appreciated.  OK if you must some info on you heavy weights would be great for comparisons.   My e-mail is [email protected]   Thanks...RW

·
Registered
59 Posts
RavenWolf
Check out John Linebaugh's website. You can find it at www.sixgunner.com. John has as much experience with high performance .45 Colt loads as anyone I know.
                                                           Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi the best place I have found for 5 shot 45 loads is on sixgunner.com.  The article is 45 Colt:  unlimited potential by John Taffin.  It contains 45 loads you are looking for.  How do you like your Gary Reeder five shot?  I was thinking of having one built.  What is your accuracy like?  

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve H, I am very pleased with Gary Reeder's work and my Bisley Reeder 45 is my favorite handgun.  With the 335s I'm getting right at about an inch at 25 yards and my best groups at 50 have been 1.5" but average 2.5" at that distance with my eyes.  I just loaded up some 290 grain keith style cast bullets to try.  FYI my daughter who is 14 can shoot 1" groups at 25 yards using 45 Schofield factory rounds.  They make a great training round and she does out shoot me often with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ravenwolf
  Thank you for telling me about you gun I guess that means I'll have to send mine now. Did you find the information on sixgunner ? Thank's for you time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, I've been accessing the sixgunner site for some time but haven't seen much data regarding 5-shot 45s with short barrels (4 5/8 or 5" like mine).  Give Gary a try and I believe you will be more then satisfied...RW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi RavenWolf
 The article you seek is in sixgunner under backissues then go down to guests and it's 20 spaces down on the left side. You have a five shooter the barrel lenght is easy take 35fps off the MV for every inch of barrel lenght. Your cylinder determins the load my six shooter is a 30,000 cup gun your five should be a 50,000 cup gun so even with the shorter barrel I think you will out class my 45 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The loads in the article are for a linebaugh gun but I'd copy them and then call gary and see what he says. I have talked with gary in the past and I don't have a problem with using them when I get my gun from gary I'll reduce them by 10 or 15% and work my way up.You shouldn't let the barrel lenght worry you. This is a quote off an article by Jim Gosnell in an article about linebaugh"the  shorter the barrel the more practicle and packable. The velocity loss as compared to a 7 1/2 inch barrel is hardly worth noting,especially when you take into account the conveniece of the shorter tube" and later in the article he states" I find the shorter barrel more pleasant to shoot and I'm not the only one that noticed this" they were shooting the 475 and 500 linebaughs. Well I should go talk to you latter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts