Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
442 Posts
I have had a few in the past. The cartridge being rimmed would be difficult to build using a bolt action. Single shots should be easy to convert. It is little known that this was a one of the cartridges that REALLY won the west. Study history of the west and the 50-70 was there during most major and minor battles. I harvested a buffalo with one, and used an original round of factory ammo loaded @1870. Three feet of penatration.

·
Banned
105 Posts
There was a company that converted bolt action enfields to 45-70, but from what I understand it didn't feed smooth. Tough to build a bolt action on that one.
I have been thinking of getting a 50-70 myself. Would like another trapdoor. A 73 in 50-70 would be fun, but I'm thinking a new reproduction Sharps carbine would be the way to go since it's hard to find a good trapdoor in that caliber with a barrel in very good shooting shape.
I would think that Pedersoli could fix a guy up.
High wall, ballard, trapdoor or sharps would all be good.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Can't think of any common bolt action that would make for an easy 50/70 conversion...at least not a repeater. Bell brass is pretty tough stuff, and I'd guess it would handle some smokeless use well enough if you're feeding a modern rifle.

Caliber itself was easy to load for, at least for the one rifle i played with (vintage Rolling block), had a lot less trouble working out an accurate BP loading for the 50/70 than for the 45/70's. Wouldn't be my #1 choice for longer range target work, but for hunting at normal iron-sight/black power ranges, can't seem much to fault in the 50-70.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about maybe a mar v 243 win if the smaller frame mark v's still have the .830 bolt diameter .
I seen a 400 grain + load @ 1800fps 3,000 ft lbs of energy .Well do they sell 50-70 bullets?I have seen brass @ midway for 30$ for 20 not bad for a non-popular caliber .Its a .515 diameter not the same as 50-90 sharps a .512 diameter or does it not matter

·
Registered
9,779 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah been looking at a 50-70. in fact in stead of s&w coming out with a 500 smith&wesson they should just have made the 50-70 smokeless probably would had made r&d cheaper lol.There in the same power-class.Im thinking a 458 socom build now though

·
Banned
105 Posts
yeah been looking at a 50-70. in fact in stead of s&w coming out with a 500 smith&wesson they should just have made the 50-70 smokeless probably would had made r&d cheaper lol.There in the same power-class.Im thinking a 458 socom build now though
The problem with anyone building a new firearm around this and coming out with hotter loads for it is the liability of someone putting it in something like an old trapdoor or rolling block. That's why they came out with the 450 marlin. It doesn't do anything that couldn't be done with the 45-70, but they didn't want the liability of selling full power loads that someone would end up sticking in a trapdoor and getting hurt.

If you look at an old 50-70 you should slug the barrel because the old barrels were normally a lot bigger than any new reproductions and you will want bullets sized for the barrel that you have.
Also, don't even think of shooting jacketed bullets in a vintage rifle. The steel in them will wear fast. They were never intended for jacketed bullets and the copper is too hard for them. You can paper patch bullets and get the benefit of the jacket without wearing out the barrel and they look cool too!

·
Banned
105 Posts
Starting a little more than $2,000 and a very long wait
http://www.shilohrifle.com/

Not sure of the wiat, but they have 74 starting around $1900 and '75 models starting around $1300.
Both of those are top quality. Fit and finnish is beyond imagination, shoot great also.

Here's Pedersoli's homepage.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=260&lang=en
1874 Sharps boss, 1874 long range, quigley all come in 50-70. Never had one of thes in my hands but they are suppose to be very nice. I would like to have one some day.

There is a link on Pedersoli's page to retailers.

Dixie gun works http://www.dixiegunworks.com/ May have others listed, but I think these are the top for quality.

If you have about $3500 to drop and want something a little different, you could try a ballard. Cool guns also. Reproduction of vintage rifles that are from the same era. http://www.ballardarms.com/

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Think this belongs in the Black Powder Cartridge forum, so will move it there.

·
Banned
105 Posts
You can buy current Winchester 1885's in 50-90, if you don't mind going slightly longer on your cartridge.
You know, I'm sorry to say that this very cool option didn't come to mind to me because I'm so into the sharps and trapdoors. I would love one of these guns also.
Another very cool vintage gun it John Brownings Winchester 1886. I know that it came in the very cool 45-90 as well as some 40 caliber options. I also know that they built a 45-70 on this or one of the near to this vintage designs. Did they ever chamber in a 50 caliber black powder round in one of th lever guns?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.