Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a shootable ( excellent bore ) 50/70 US Model 1870 rifle. Cleaned it up a tad - previous owner over cleaned it a bit , but **** can't have everything but the price was right. Have not had one in 30 years. So now I need brass and dies all over again.

Tried to load a couple pics....won't do it for some reason. I did get a couple on this same format over at marlin owners , but it choked after a couple there too.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Found a shootable ( excellent bore ) 50/70 US Model 1870 rifle. Cleaned it up a tad - previous owner over cleaned it a bit , but **** can't have everything but the price was right. Have not had one in 30 years. So now I need brass and dies all over again.

Tried to load a couple pics....won't do it for some reason. I did get a couple on this same format over at marlin owners , but it choked after a couple there too.
You can form .50-70 brass by using .348 brass expanded the neck to hold .513" bullets. Then trim the case to: 1.87" length & fire form. Anneal case necks to avoid neck splits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to take 348 win and make 8mm lebel when I had a couple lebel and bertheir rifles many moons ago. There is plenty of new made brass out there . Got a quantity ordered for under $2.10 each.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have made 50-70 cases from .348 Winchester cases. They work OK but be aware that the head of the case does not blowout. I have never measured the difference in capacity between them and standard cases. I am sure that there is a loss. Here is one used in an odd loading.
ADABA29C-9CC8-4CDF-A27F-AA66189E89EB.jpeg

This is for a fast twist SSK barrel for a T/C Encore. A subsonic load using a .50 BMG bullet.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have made 50-70 cases from .348 Winchester cases. They work OK but be aware that the head of the case does not blowout. I have never measured the difference in capacity between them and standard cases. I am sure that there is a loss. Here is one used in an odd loading.
View attachment 101077 View attachment 101077
This is for a fast twist SSK barrel for a T/C Encore. A subsonic load using a .50 BMG bullet.
That's pretty radical for a subsonoic projo. A 647gn M33 ball bullet with a hard core...at subsonic velocity.... I would almost think it would ricochet a bit much .

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That's pretty radical for a subsonoic projo. A 647gn M33 ball bullet with a hard core...at subsonic velocity.... I would almost think it would ricochet a bit much .
The load is from J.D. Jones at SSK Industries, the source of the barrel. I do not know about ricochets as I never shoot at anything hard. The bullets come out of the muzzle at about 930fps. At 400 yards, it is still going 850 fps. At 600, it is at 812.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Gew98..assuming you posted the trapdoor picture because that’s the 50-70 under discussion.

Rolling block (N.Y. Militia) but did own a nice trapdoor in 50/70 and shot it a bit. Was too nice a rifle, ended up selling it.

Background of traditional type muzzle loaders, so the long barreled 50/70 hunted just as well as the long barreled muzzle loaders.

NO problems with Starline brass….no problems with home cast bullets. Are low pressure single shot rifles, the cases don’t get sized very much and no great reason to hard crimp them...so they tend to last.

They just weren’t all that picky about bore size and the ,military's accuracy requirements back then were pretty generous. Both of the ones I had were well over the modern standard size. Bores more like .516-.518” Would work with undersized soft lead and black powder ...pretty hopeless with modern hard lead and .512-513”.

Was allowed to practice on an indoor range….but not allowed black powder...so did eventually work out some smokeless loads with home cast bullets of the right diameter.

Didn’t have TrailBoss then...I’d have tried it. Just not as much published/pressure data for the 50/70,,,when there is reliable low pressure data, I’d stick to it quite closely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts