Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Desert Eagle in .50AE caliber. I have a chance to pick one up for next to nothing and I'd like to hear from someone who has owned or fired one. I can live with how ugly it is if it shoots well.
Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dave,

I fired quite a few 50 AE Beagles. They make a lot of noise and throw a big bullet but, all things being equal I'd rather have a gun that fit my hand (and everyone elses for that matter). They do shoot well but the gun just isn't comfortable in my hand at all. The stock triggers are horrible and need some work for the best accuracy. You can mount a scope very neatly right on the barrel and the iron sight are quite good. Remember the most important issue with the Desert Eagle is NO LEAD BULLETS. Lead clogs the gas ports in the barrel.

The 44 mag and 45 Colt are much better hunting rounds in my opinion. Pick up a Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley for around &#36400.00 in most parts and enjoy more flexability. Both rounds offer better bullet selection as well as much better sectional density for greater penetration when its needed. You can also down load either round in the revolver where its full power only in the big Magnum Research gun.

That being said, if you like the gun and the price is just too good to walk away from, go have some fun!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 2 friends with DEP's in 50 AE. I have one in 44 Mag. Accuracy on all three guns rival the best Sixguns on the market (leave out FA, please). MT has a point about the grip. It is huge!!! The only reason it is not a problem is the gun absorbs a lot of recoil in the gas action. MT also has a point about lead bullets. The other point is that the 50 AE's true potential is in the FA line of revolvers where a more appropriate 385 grain bullet can be used. I have only seen resonably priced jacketed bullets in the 300-325 grain range. Another point is the availibility of the 440 CorBon barrels. That is round to play with!!!!! If the price is right (which you have not told us how much) and you can afford the extra cost of shooting jacketed bullets only, buy it.
Mark  

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go ahead and take the DE. I primarily shoot revolvers since they're easier to load for and don't lose cases. But I like to play with my semi-autos sometimes. Besides, the only thing the DE will cost me is some work on a friend's guns. Stuff like cleaning, repair, trigger jobs, etc.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts