Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 350gr swc RCBS mould on (back!)order for 3 months from Lock Stock & Barrel.  Does this mould really exist?  Does anyone have load data for cast in the 50AE?  Or sell .501 cast bullets? The new Speer #13 has a little loading info.  I'm in the process of having a Browning lowwall Traditional Hunter in 44mag rechambered and rebored to 50AE( with a long throat so I can load to a col of 1.7). Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I can't imagine why the .50AE RCBS mold would be on backorder for three months!  Usually RCBS is very good about keeping their distributors stocked.  They pump out custom jobs quicker than three months in most cases.  Yes, indeed the mold does exist, and from what I understand it is a dandy for the AE.

I'm not sure who makes a bullet right now for the .50AE in cast on a commercial basis.   We should have two bullets available in about a month in our lineup.  Both of them for the .50AE specifically.   I'll not quote weights until I get the molds, and actually cast them with our alloy, as it is different from most commercial alloys, having an antimony content of only 3%, it casts heavier than most (giving greater sectional density and being less brittle)

However, until then I'm not sure where to send you for bullets, but you might try this link for the mold:

Huntington's Die Specialties

They are a little more expensive than others, but being in Oroville, CA, where RCBS is located, they have direct, first access to everything that they make.   If they don't have it in stock, you'll never know it, because they'll simply get it ASAP from RCBS!

Hope this helps a bit!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try RCBS directly. I inquired about their only 50ae mold (I thought it was 340 grains) and they said they have them in stock. WWW.Blount.com should be the starting address. Click on sporting equip. Go from there. Good luck.
Mark
aka Casullian
PS Marshall, my registration for the site was lost. I just re-regestered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen:  I finally got my RCBS mould last Thursday.  It seems that LS&B "misplaced" my order for a while(few MONTHS!)  It cast an awesome looking bullet.  The metplat is almost 40 caliber.  Just wish I had my rifle ready so I could load some(Mr. Dick Nickle's untimely passing - GOD rest his soul - has forced my 'Smith to find someone else to do the reboring).  I use H-110 in my Desert Eagle.  Since I'm having the browning throated so I can load to a col of 1.75, I wonder if (more of)a slower powder like AA1680 etc. might give higher velocities in the 24" barrel?  Any suggestions?  Thanks    

1 - 5 of 5 Posts