Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body tell me about what the maxium velocity can I expect from a 50 alaskan in a 15" encore barrel using bullet weights from 600 to 750 grains

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
TJ,

Excuse me for intruding on your ligitimate question, but I do need to tell dclark1 that his response/question is as good as anything in the Humor section.

Dan

·
Banned
87 Posts
I would have to guess that the velocity of the shooter after falling off the shooting bench and doing two full backward rolls shood be about ten feet per second. unless of course he is rolling down hill then the velocity would be equal to the angle of roll to the second power.
Bob
New math

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My .50 AK is a 12 " SSK barrel and these are the velocities I have gotten.
450 gr. Barnes FN 1727.7 fps
475 gr. LBT LFNGC 1675.9
570 gr. Woodleight 1445.2
750 gr. A-Max 1125.0

All are with Re #7 powder and not anywere near max.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I agree !

DOK said:
TJ,

Excuse me for intruding on your ligitimate question, but I do need to tell dclark1 that his response/question is as good as anything in the Humor section.

Dan
Dan, I agree ! That was truly an excellent response to the question. :D LOL

Having fired the puny 375 JDJ from a Contender, I can't see myself willingly firing the .50 Alaskan from a handgun. Holy Moley !!!!! Now, back to legitimate answers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
MePlat

I have a 13 inch 50 Alaskan. With 570 gr Woodleigh bullets it will do 1600 with what I feel are safe loads.

The 600 gr Barnes soild will do 1600 too. This bullet I seat out some due to the longer bullet. With it seated to the crimp groove it is too deep in the case and pressures will be higher hence velocity. So seat it out.

With 700 gr BMG bullets for plinking 1400 is doable or slightly more.

Reloader 7 seems to be the powder for this cartridge in an Encore but I think there are powders that are just as good but RL7 does well enough that what experimentiong I have done is not worth it to me as yet.

Everyone goes ape over recoil. It is true that the recoil is heavy but it is not painful.. A 4" M29 with top end 250 gr loads has more painful recoil to me as the hump slams into ones hand and the cylinder latch cut my thumb on the older ones. Change the grips and this changes.

With calibers like the 50 Alaskan or the 458 Win Mag in an Encore pistol the barrel needs a good muzzle brake and a set of rubber grips.

As always recoil is mostly between the ears unless you try to be macho and shoot many rounds in an outing. Liomit the round you shoot and you will be ok.

REMEMBER these are not guns to learn to shoot with they are for people with good shooting skills to begin with

·
Banned
87 Posts
Meplat, your right about the muzzle break because if you think about it all that gun is after the bullet leaves the barrel, is a powder fuelled rocket coming back at you. My 480 SRH Ruger does not have a bad recoil but it does jump a bit, so with it being ported it will control the jump and lessen the recoil a tad. I like to shoot to much to not shoot more then a couple of boxes.
Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 50 Alaskan is a Wild West guns carbine with just 3 1/2" more barrel than your encore and I get 1865 fps (cronographed) with 525 gr bullets and 61 gr benchmark powder. With a 475 gr Beartooth and 55 gr of IMR 4198 I am guessing that I get about 1900 to 1925 fps (not cronographed). Both loads shoot with acceptable accuracy (minute of moose, Cape buffalo, grizzly, or 2" at 100 yds, etc.)

It's good to see that I am not the only one who likes the big bore heavy bullets in my firearms. For those who make jokes about recoil just don't understand.

By the way Elmer Keith was right and Jack O'Conner was wrong.

Keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I have a 50 Alaskan Revolver with an 8" barrel and 1400+ FPS is possible with 600 grain bullets. BB Factory loaded 525 grainers go 1570 FPS.
Here is a picture of a friend shooting it

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
JWP475
So did he shoot it twice??? :) By the looks of it his wrist got broke!!! I shoot a 454 Casull and it's all the recoil I want to have. You guys are nuts!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
He shot it into the penetration test box. No he did not recieve an injury....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts