Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 Browning that I would like to have rebarreled in 50 Alaskan.  Anyone have any advice on gunsmiths that might perform this work?  Would also be interested in load data that anyone might have or personal experience with this caliber that would be of interest.

I noticed that Starline Brass is now making 50 Alaskan cases and was wondering if anyone has gotten any yet.  Must be a demand for it since Starline is making it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi gab,
I currently have a Browning 71 High Grade in for the same conversion and believe me, before I sent it off I wanted to be sure the work would be done by one of the best!  After several months of reading and then talking with Harry McGowen of McGowen Rifle Barrels at (815) 937-9816, I have never felt more confident.  I'm sure there are other high quality gunsmiths around but Harry's been in business since 1959 and has done all the 416/450/50 AK conversions for John Kronfeld in 'Big Bore Rifle & Cartridges'on the Win./Browning 71's.  I think after talking with Harry, you'll know where I'm coming from.  Regarding Starline Brass, Buffalo Bore uses it in their 50 AK ammo.  I ordered some 525gr. from Tim and sent a couple back to Harry for loading/feeding samples.  I want to be able to load 600gr. bullets (solids) through the side loading gate with as wide a meplat as possible and will have a 3/8" chamber throat with a 1-10 twist rate to stabilize them.  You might want to consider ordering a Lee Factory Crimp die from Wild West Guns as I did- thus allowing you to adjust COL to your wants/needs.  I hope this info. will be of help to you and would be interested-as I'm sure everybody else is of your thoughts and decisions!  Best Wishes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Jim.  Good info.  I'll look into the McGowan especially since he already has a good reputation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts