Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot about this cartrige, and I was wondering if anyone has some actual ballistics numbers or performance stats about it. Range, ft/lbs, bullet weight, how is it compared to the 45-70, have you actually hunted with it?
Lay it on me!!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I just picked mine up last December, so I have not gotten the chance to hunt with it, but it should be a great performer.  It has much more "paper energy" than the .45-70, but to be honest, I don't see how it could kill a deer any quicker or deader, as the .45-70 has always been a real sledgehammer.  But, I "needed" a .50 for my Encore.  I shoot a 12" SSK Encore barrel and have shot 450 gr. Barnes Originals, 570 gr. Woodleighs, and 750 gr. Hornady A-Max.  The 475 gr. LFNGC bullets from Beartooth have not arrived yet, but they are going to be the bullets I use from now on as I suspect they will be the best performers.

Using Re. #7 powder, here are the stats.  Never does the bullet rise more than 3" above line of sight.

450 gr. Barnes Original, 59.0 gr.  1728 fps, 2983 ft-lbs energy at muzzle.  At 100 yards, energy is down to 2264 ft-lbs.  With 150 yard zero, bullet is down 3" at 175 but starting to drop like a rock, down to 8" at 200 yards.  Energy is still 1718 ft-lbs at 200 yards.

570 gr. Woodleigh, 54.0 gr., 1445 ft/sec, 2644 ft-lbs at muzzle.  At 100 yards 2331 ft-lbs, 125 yard zero, 3" drop at 150 and 2189 ft-lbs of energy.  7.6" drop at 175 so it too is dropping like a rock by this range.

It should be noted that both the Barnes and the Woodleigh need 2000 fps to expand, which is not possible in a 12" barrel.  However, with a 1/2" hole being puched through, not much expansion is needed.  The flat nose of the Barnes should open up quite a wound channel, but the RN of the Woodleigh may not be quite as affective.  This is why I believe the 475 gr. LBT LFNGC bullet will be the best performer.  Accuracy with both bullets is 1.5" at 50 yards for 5 shots.

750 gr. Hornady A-Max, 43.0 gr, 1142.1 fps.  Energy for this load is not important, nor is trajectory as this load was for "kicks and giggles."  It's recoil was more fun than I want to have again, but accuracy was quite good with 5 shots going into 1 ragged hole measuring .6" c-c at 50 yards.

I suspect that with a 475 gr. Hardcast LBT bullet I should be able to push the bullet to 1800 fps without difficulty.  The above loads showed no signs of pressure so I feel that if I want to push the load to max with the 475 gr. bullet, 1800 fps should be doable.

It's an excellent round and I am going to have an 1895 GS rebuilt to .50 AK just as soon as I can lay my hands on one.  I just hope I can connect with a deer this fall and see if the paper figures agree with real world performance, but I would be very surprised if they did not.  Get one, you won't regret it.      

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two .50 Alaskan converted Marlin lever guns built by Regan Nonneman in Maryville,MO. The first one I got was built on a .45-70 GG and has a 24" tapered oct.barrel and full mag.tube. The second one was built on a 336 receiver and converted to staright grip and has a 20" tapered oct. and full mag. tube. The powders I have tested are Rel.7...IMR 4198....and IMR 3031 with cast bullets from 350 to 535...all are LBT design and gas checked. Rel.7 and 4198 seem to give better velocity with less powder...30-31 also works fine if you have that on hand. I have used 4198 and a 535 for 2000 plus from a 20" barrel. I prefer the 485 LFN with 4198 at 1800...it has given excellent accuracy in my guns and will certainly shoot through what I need to shoot! I have killed several 400 plus pound hogs and it hammers them....never recovered a bullet either. Whitetail should pose no problem and I have noticed that it is just as effective as a .45-70...only makes a bigger hole. I find it also more comfortable to shoot than a "heavy" loaded .45-70 too! Again this is my opinion as I really like and shoot a .45-70 a great deal as well.

Regards,
Chuck Smith

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeez, Chuck....

Does that shorty 336 kick as much as it sounds like it should?  What does that little beast weigh?  I suppose if he can build a .50 AK on a 336, a 38-56 should be a piece of cake!

Wayne Miller
PNW Sixgunner

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 50 alaskan that I have was made by wild west guns,I've been shooting it for a while now and have good results with IMR4198. I have gotten 2060 with the 475 beartooth,which is a stiff load,but very shootable, I was using 61 grains. I am going to start using H322,as I've heard I can get even more fps out of it.I think the 50 is better than the 45 70 as you get more fps and larger bullet also a heavier one too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Chuck:

Great info! I have been wondering about using a 336 to make a .50. Is it tested to the same pressure levels as the 1895 models? The new stainless 336 could be a great way to build one, what do you think? What barrel did you put on the 336? Thanks for posting, .50 lever info is hard to come by.

Do you have pics? I would appreciate an email with Mr. Nonneman's email or phone #s.

Regards,

Griz

·
Registered
11 Posts
50 alaskan data...

clement... its one **** of a cartridge in a SS marlin 22" built by ben Forkin. i shoot a 680Lfngc at 1380 fps with AA 5744 x 33 gr and 42 gr of IMR 4198 up to 1500 fps ave. this one is so accurate up to 100-150 yards its amazing.woodleigh makes bullets for the 50 alaskan
along with new hydrostatic type.. Hodgdon offers reloadind data on line as well..to me, a
680 gr Lfngc at 1380 fps is more then enough to take down any of the big ones that is
with a shot well placed..i have BFR revolver with 10" barrel chambered to the 50 alskan &
its a winner with both..... 1tufgun

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Another Zombie thread, risen from the dead after 11 years. Who says there is no need for Hornady's Zombi-Max ammo?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts