Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Not yet, but I believe it is availble when you buy the dies from AA and it is listed on AA's web page but the stupid link doesn't work yet, nor do any of their other links in that section. I might be able to let you know in a couple of months. I am in the process of building (read that waiting) a stainless steel Black T lower from DPMS to arrive so I can start building up my lower in prep for the AA upper.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tossed mine on a Bushmaster lower. Works fine :O)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I didn't want to throw the .50 B on my Colt lower and use offset pins up front or my Nat'l Match M15 A4 (T). The rear J-P tension pin I use is not exactly quick to change out either. I have a 7.5 pound .45-70 and it is by far the hardest kicking gun I have, and I have several big bores, so I don't want another with no real recoil pad, and felt the extra 12 oz. of weight in the SS lower will be much appreciated and put the weight where I want it, between my hands, not like a buttstock lead slug.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a nice kick to it. I shot it with a t-shirt on one outing, I dont do that anymore!

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well FINALLY after 6 weeks the die set, bullets and cases came in. 334FMJ - 37.5grains of Lil Gun.

Everybody that has shot this rifle now wants one. I love big bores!!!!!! :D

Wait, dont take that personal BB!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep an eye out for the next offering from Alexander Arms --- the .26 Grendel. This should be out later this year or the beginning of 2004 with a 123 grain bullet (.547 BC) at 2650 fps.

It is a tack driver.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naa, I have my S&W 500 now and along with the beowulf, my .450 marlin rifle, my .450 marlin BFR revolver I am set for big bore until I pick up my 50BMG.

I just cant go small :p

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm afraid I bailed on the .50 Beowulf. I got to checking out the .458 SOCOM and had to go with it. Better downrange performance, better, much better bullet selection (250-500, even 600 grains), longer range and flatter trajectory, no mag modifications, Cor-Bon loaded ammo available, and headspaces on the shoulder. I still might get a .50 B upper down the road, and the DPMS ss lower FINALLY arrived, but I just have this nagging doubt about the way the .50 B headspaces off the mouth that I just could not get comfortable with. You know what happens to a .45-70 bullet if not crimped in tight, and the .50 B can only use a taper crimp whereas the .458 SOCOM lets you use a normal crimp. Please, let me know if you experience any bullet set-back or pull problems and if I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problems so far. Now that I have the S&W 500 I can buy bulk bullets for it and the Beowulf. Its just like my .458 BFR and .458 Marlin. Rifle and handgun. Now I have 500 cal Rifle and Handgun. Like my .44 mag revolver and .44 mag Marlin. I like combos.

Next on my list is a custom 50 bmg :O)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Zeppelin,
Where are you going to source the .50 BMG handgun? I recall seing a conversion that dropped onto a 1911 frame years ago.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
50 BMG handgun? Nooooo, 50 BMG rifle, bolt action, 1000 yard shooter with a Nightforce scope.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Zep,
you know you're going to have to have a handgun to match the .50 BMG rifle. It seems to me there was a pisol named the "NUKE50" that fired BMG. I can't find any info on it at present though. What kind of 50BMG rifle are you considering?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
For kicks and giggles, check out this page. They have a .50 BMG handgun....http://www.birdman.org/ and his "special" nuke 50 ammo.

In your quest for the .50 BMG rifle, before you buy anything at least check out the Armalite AR-50. I absolutely love mine to death. And talk about a shooter. Even with IMI ball ammo, it will hold 2.5-3" five-shot groups at 500 yards, and all with the recoil of a lightweigh rifle in .25-06 (I have no 1000 yard range available within sane driving distances). If that rifle doesn't make one grin, then one is incapable of such acts.:D

For getting into .50 BMG shooting on the cheap, check out Birdman's Jaded .50 rifle kit. Now THAT one is a blast!!!

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Custom 50 BMG with a Mcmillon stock. I have a friend who has one who has never fired it because he purchased a semi auto Barrett. I may be able to buy it for around $1100.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
That sounds like a very good price. Who made the action? A good question to ask, are the scope bases machined parallel to the bore, or with some built-in elevation? This is commonly done with 20 or more minutes of elevation added to the read of the base (and yes on a .50 you definitely want the scope bases integral with the receiver, or at least welded on).

If you don't shoot past 1,000 yards you may not need the built-in elevation (depending on what scope you put on it) but it doesn't hurt to have.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont know yet but I intend on a Nightforce scope. It all depends if I can talk him out of it (which I have a good chance)

He is somebody who has several full auto belt fed machine guns so he has a substantial collection but he just got a barrett 50 so I dont think he will shoot both.

My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zeppelin! said:
Anybody Have any loads for the 50 Beowulf?

http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.html
Have you found the loads you were looking for yet? I have the loads for the 334, 325 and 400 grain bullets, if you need them let me know. If you are tire of waiting for the dies from impact, you might give RCBS a call. I was just told that they are producing them as well, that came from Cabela's. I have not called yet, but I am going to. I reloaded one box of 325 that I use in my Desert Eagle, using my 500 S&W Mag dies. You just have to crimp good. They sure do shoot well. Better groups that the factory ammo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts