Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I over heard some guys at my local gun shop talking about 50 bmg upper for an ar-15. They were saying the price was in the $1200-$1400 range. I didnt get a brand and didnt get to talk to anybody because they were busy and I had limited time. Anyone have any info on this? How does it shoot? Any brands to stay away from? Is it just the upper or do you get a different stock too? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I don't know that well what is available in the AR platform, but think the std AR is totally unsuitable for the 50 BMG. Thinking they were discussing the Barrett rifle platform?

·
Registered
542 Posts
They weren't talking about an AR-50, were they?

I could be wrong, but I doubt a .50 BMG would fit in a STANAG mag. :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
i know that a .50 bmg in a 8.5 lb. rifle will produce over of 280 ft lbs of recoil energy, so I really doubt that they would be able to use it in an AR, could possibly cause some extreme long term damage!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Yea the site says the upper is 35lbs, so that brings recoil down to that of a 12 gauge slug gun.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Uses a standard AR 15 lower reciever, but a completely different upper. When you remove the rear take down pin and shot gun up the recievers you pull the bolt out and insert a loaded round onto the bolt like the eariler McMillans and Daisy .50s.

CD

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,707 Posts
Might not work so good with the wooden AR lower there was a thread about, huh? :eek:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I over heard some guys at my local gun shop talking about 50 bmg upper for an ar-15. They were saying the price was in the $1200-$1400 range. I didnt get a brand and didnt get to talk to anybody because they were busy and I had limited time. Anyone have any info on this? How does it shoot? Any brands to stay away from? Is it just the upper or do you get a different stock too? Thanks.
There are several out but I am not sure the prices. It goes directly on the normal AR-15 lower but sometimes you do have to use an increased power hammer spring. It will not damage the lower.
Go to the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association's web page and they have links to manufactures.
Surbu and Watson, are two but there are a bunch of them. They are of course single shots and the Watson is quite accurate but slow as molasses in January to load and unload.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Worry ??

Never shot one although have seen several at the gun shows down here.

Would guess that the recoil would be more than a complete 50BMG weapon as in the Barrett. Have shot them and recoil is(to me)akin to a 12ga shotgun,mainly due to the combined weight and the usually excellent muzzle brake.

Seems to me that installing a 50BMG upper on a regular AR lower,the weak point would be the place that the two are held together. If it were simply the two pin holes(takedown and pivot),seems it would bugger them up after only a few shots.

Again,some experience with the 50BMG but NOT with the uppers that attach to the AR lower. But....would not want any part of that "system". -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I may be dreaming it, but I believe I read of a company making a .50 BMG upper for the AR-15 lower; but if I recall correctly it is a single-shot bolt action. It was a very simple design. The lower just provided a buttstock and fire control.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats pretty awesome. I'm starting to get very interested. I've shot barret's before, pretty heavy to help soak up some recoil. I imagine that upper would have some more punch to it with that weight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts