Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of upgrading my collection to include the .50 BMG.

Will I have any problems loading this round with my single stage Lyman Orange Crusher?

Does any one have any suggestions on the selection of powder and bullets.

Are there any inherent problems with this round, i.e. case trimming, full length sizing and so forth.

Any accuracy examples out there?

I wish to shoot is on our 1000 yard range.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If your press does not have a bushing that threads into the press that is larger than standard dies, it won't work. The .50 BMG dies are of a larger body diameter than standard dies. There is a local shop here that loads alot of .50 and does some government contract work. I've seen groups fired at a 1000yds that you can cover with a greenback. You may want to check out the website. Last time I spoke with them, a new world record had been set with the bullets they make.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Most people who reload the .50 end up with dedicated presses, due to both the length of the loaded round, and also the force needed to resize cases.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You will need to get a new press for sure, such as the RCBS Ammomaster or Hornady clone. There are others out there, but these do the job quite well and are not too expensive. Dies, as was mentioned are 1.5" and will cost you an arm and leg for good ones. If you want serious accuracy, forget RCBS, Hornady and the like, they are good for plinking loading, but not serious target work. For the best accuracy, go with the match dies from CH4D, about $600 for the set of neck, FL, and in-line seat. RCBS primer seater and shellholder is fine. One of the cheapest case trimmers, and it works very well, is the Lyman .50 BMG trimmer. Not real fast, but does a heck of a job.
I shoot an AR-50 and have been getting sub 3" groups at 500 yards using the Hornady A-Max and H50BMG powder with CCI BMG primers. These are about the cheapest bullets you can shoot outside of milsurp, but milsurp will need to be sized and that is another $100 die, and you just will not get the best accuracy out of steel-core bullets, especially resized pulled bullets.
Again, for best accuracy, you will need to outside neck turn. I use the Forster turner, but do not like it much. It does the job, but it does not hold the case and it slips a lot. The K&M neck turner is much better. Also, a K&M primer pocket uniformer and K&M flash hold uniformer is needed for best accuracy. The Hornady .50 BMG powder measure is great and you can dump a load with one dump. I use a Lyman 55 measure and have to dump twice to get my load. For more info, check out the Fifty Caliber Shooters Assoc at www.FCSA.org and they have a manufactures link page that is quite useful.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Smokey,
I use an RCBS AmmoMaster press to load 50 BMG ammo for my custom built McMillan 50 BMG's.
A CH4D F/L sizing die for initial sizing.
A CH4D bushing neck sizing die after fire forming.
A CH4D straight line seating die.
A Forster trimmer.
A Gracey trimmer.
A K&M flash hole uniformer.
A K&M primer pocket uniformer.
A K&M neck turner.

Mil surplus 700gr M2 ball projectiles($225.00/1000,sized & tumbled) can be purchased from jeff bartlett in KY.
www.gibrass.com
The Hornady 750gr A-MAX projectiles pushed through a 1:15 twist barrel at 2750fps & faster will spin the jackets from the cores,not good,since the projectiles have to clear a muzzle brake!!!!!!

My "Plinker" load with 700gr M2 Ball projectiles is as follows;
LC '95 case(854gr prepped/weighed/unprimed)
CCI #35 primer
235.0gr IMR 5010 mil surplus pull down powder
5.450 OAL
1.5"/5shot/400yds/2875fps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts