Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How popular is the 50 bmg. I mean everyone knows what it is but why if it so popular is there only few bullets for it ?.I want to see some 50 bmg accubonds . or similar

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Well the thing is, they are in no way practical for real hunting. Who wants to lug a 4 foot long, 38 lb rifle up into thier tree stand ? Hornady does make a 750gr A-Max though.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Well the thing is, they are in no way practical for real hunting. Who wants to lug a 4 foot long, 38 lb rifle up into thier tree stand ? Hornady does make a 750gr A-Max though.
Might not stay in your stand long after your first shot, lol have to strap yourself in real good.

It would be very practical for those 1000+ yard hunters lol.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
How popular is the 50 bmg. I mean everyone knows what it is but why if it so popular is there only few bullets for it ?.I want to see some 50 bmg accubonds . or similar
Yeah, because you need a 750gr, .50 caliber bullet, at 2600fps, with over 11,000ft lbs of energy, to expand, but hold together well, in order for it to kill...:rolleyes:

For the record, Lapua, Speer and Barnes all make bullets for the 50 BMG that can be used to "hunt"...if that's what you want to call it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
"Popular" is a relative term. The folks who go in for things like 1000 yard shooting love the .50 -- but compared to the universe of shooters, such folks are few and far between.

·
Banned
101 Posts
It practical for hunting bad guys and enemy vehicles. Pretty much worthless stateside except for guys with little wee wee's...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,276 Posts
I know a guy that used Hornady A-Max bullets on pigs. They were pretty spectacular, even if not designed as a hunting bullet.

Don't think it matters much at that bore size.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Lots of bullet choices for the 50 bmg. Hunting isnt practical unless setup on a mountain somewhere. The gun is absolutely awesome to shoot. A rich friend of mine has one with alot of ammo that he allows me to shoot up for him. A barret with the bors system. I got to cut a tree in half with one on his land. One of the best days in my life! The gun blew snow into my pants while I was shooting from the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lots of bullet choices for the 50 bmg. Hunting isnt practical unless setup on a mountain somewhere. The gun is absolutely awesome to shoot. A rich friend of mine has one with alot of ammo that he allows me to shoot up for him. A barret with the bors system. I got to cut a tree in half with one on his land. One of the best days in my life! The gun blew snow into my pants while I was shooting from the muzzle blast.
Sounds like fun. What's your pal's address? Does he still have ammo left over? :p

Here's a video of a guy shooting a PTRS. That gun is a MONSTER! I love the upset dust near the muzzle from the concussion. Makes me want one. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ClWi27olA

Doesn't seem too practical to me though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You have to have a pretty serious range (not just distance but backstop and distance from anyone who would be bothered by the noise) to use one of those safely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an AR50. I do not shoot it very much do to the cost of the ammo. I was sighting it in at 600 yards when a compatition group was running us off of the range do to the fact that they had piad for the range that day. My girl friend started poutting (like a girl) and said but I want to shoot it (She loves the rifle) the guy running us off the range said YOU SHOOT THAT!!! and she said ya all the time. He said I got to see this. She put her sights on a bowling ball pin (600 yards away) pulled the trigger and hit the pin dead center it flew about 50 up the hill and landed 200 feet behind were it was sitting. The guy said holly SH$%^ I would not want to piss her off. He could not believe a girl could shoot so well. We have a lot of fun shooting the 50 and I am starting to gather up the equipment to reload it so that we can shoot it more often. All I need is the powder now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 50BMG round is a thing of beauty, but I think I am going to wait for the Russian 14.5mm to come out in a light weight sporter....lol

just kidding, I think that thing has wheels under it..

good luck

GF

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,749 Posts
Tkbigbore,
A few things about it.
1) recoil. Stroll through the pages of this and other fine boards, and see PILES of threads related to "reduced loads, for first time 243". It appears to me that in the "civilized" world folks don't tolerate recoil well.
2) Cost. Not many folks are going to buy a $3-12,000 gun to shoot pigs in Texas, at $5-10 per shot.
3)Energy. Something that can Generate 15,000 Foot/Pounds of muzzle energy, DOESN'T MATTER what bullet construction you use. You absolutely destroy any possible amount of meat/Trophy, at the ranges that MOST people who hunt.
There are some extremists who take Elk at VERY long distances, and it works out well. But MOST people: A: Won't the time in accurate load development for extreme distance/Accuracy. B: Take enough time to stalk something that far off. AND THEN go get it when hit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your shooting varmint or problem pigs it doesn't matter if you have meat damage or trophy some be just let pigs lay on the ground .I was looking at a hs 50 or a viper 50 bmg .I see the price of guns irrelanvant if your plan on keeping because lets face it guns last forever or longer than we do anyways.
look at the 300 yr old musket that still fire and **** guns these day are built even better .So payin 3k+ for something that last over 100 yrs seems reasonable .Be truthful we dont need anything but its still nice to have it right?.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Post a recoil chart then.

Bullet weight in grains 750
Velocity in fps 2900
Powder charge in grains 256
Weight of firearm in lbs 35
Recoil Impulse in (lbs sec) 14
Velocity of recoiling firearm (fps) 13
Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs 92 divide that by 50% or more for a muzzle brake which could give you (depending on the brake) 30-40 ft lbs recoil

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Post a recoil chart then.

Bullet weight in grains 750
Velocity in fps 2900
Powder charge in grains 256
Weight of firearm in lbs 35
Recoil Impulse in (lbs sec) 14
Velocity of recoiling firearm (fps) 13
Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs 92 divide that by 50% or more for a muzzle brake which could give you (depending on the brake) 30-40 ft lbs recoil

Muzzle brakes reduce FELT recoil, as does a heavier rifle, the ft LBs will always be there. Sorry but if .50 BMG bolt rifles with 750 grain bullets recoiled like a .338 WM more people would be shooting them.

Me posting a recoil chart is pointless, it will likely be over a 100 foot lbs of recoil.

Also rifle weight is a variable, as are different muzzle brakes, very misleading statement (to say your avg .50 bmg bolt rifle only produces 30-40 lbs of recoil)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts