Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that S&W has brought out the new 500 S&W Mag. when do we see a Levergun in that? Anyone have any idea how much pressure a 440 gr. bullet at 1625 fps for 2575 foot-pounds would generate? Case loaded length was listed as 2.10". Could any of the current leverguns handle it?

Interesting concept!

Reb

·
Banned
91 Posts
Reb said:
Now that S&W has brought out the new 500 S&W Mag. when do we see a Levergun in that? Anyone have any idea how much pressure a 440 gr. bullet at 1625 fps for 2575 foot-pounds would generate? Case loaded length was listed as 2.10". Could any of the current leverguns handle it?

Interesting concept!

Reb
Yeh no problem.We already have alot of them built on Win M1886,Marlin M1895,Marlin M336,Win M1895,Win M71 .To name a few.

450Marlin 400gr 2106fps-3934fpe,COL:2.55,Quickload
45/70 405gr 2100fps-3990fpe,COL:2.55,Buffalo
458x2 405gr 2110fps-4005fpe,COL:2.60,Quickload
450 Alaskan 500gr 2005fps-4465fpe,COL:2.79,Ackley
50 Alaskan 453gr ABW 2013fps-4050fpe,COL:2.50,Quickload
510KE 453gr ABW 2323fps-5423fpe,COL:2.68,Quickload

These are lever action rounds.These are much longer cases,hence more powder,hence more power!If you increased the 500 S&W velocity due to 18.5 or 20in.You would still be at around 1875fps for 440gr bullet.Well below the 450 Alaskan,50 Alaskan and 510 Kodiak Express

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
You may see it happen, it looks like the size of the round wouldn't offern too many problems...pressure is debatable. While there have been several .50 wildcat rounds made up on lever guns over the years, this would have the advantage (from the gun makers point of view) of being factory chambered.tested. It would give the maker come control over prssures.dimentions, etc,...with rifles converted to wildcat calibers, the quality of work ranges from fantastic to dangerous.

That control was probably part of the driving force behind the .450Marlin. It really can't do anything that a well loaded 45/70 can't match...but there won't be 'sprained' antiques from the .450Marlin.

Still...given the same pressure...a small case just can't beat a large one. Given a choice, would like to see the .50Alaskan offered in factory form.

Chances are, that if it can be done, and the .50SW takes off in the handgun world, it probably will be made in some rifles.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'm betting it will be available in an Encore, rifle or pistol, before you can actually buy the S&W revolver.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah! Go big 50!! I'll go with the 50-110 WCF. It's been doin' it for 116 years, and is still the "BIG BOY" of the 50 cal leverguns.:D

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Whooooooaaa MIKE! How how about that 50-140?

Now your talking some serious horsepower for knocking down oak trees in the back yard.:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
2-bits, I was referring to cartridges fired in magazine leverguns. The massive 50-140 was a Sharps offering, appearing too late for the Buffalo hunting trade. To my knowledge, it was not available in any multi-shot lever action rifle of the day.:D

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I was really wondering about the 500 S&W is wether or not it could be handled by a medium to small frame size levergun along the lines of a Winchester 92 repo or a Winchester 94 or 94BB action? Not one of the large action guns like the 1886/71 or Marlin 1895.

Reb

·
Registered
512 Posts
Me,too,Reb. The 500 S&W is crying to be applied to a levergun. I think that it's too fat or a standard '92, though. Look for the Puma to be offerred in that cal. one of these days. If it can handle the 454, it omly makes sense that the 500 will follow.:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Great article, and nice adaptation of a 336. Some of the stuff you can do with these is so cool!!

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I understand the question, and that of using the new .50 S&W in the Marlin 1894's and Win 92 clones. I don't see that happening any time soon, just from a physical size limitation issue. Either of these actions would have to undergo a complete reworking and retooling to make the receiver long enough to handle the new S&W cartridge length. I don't see this happening any time soon... if ever. These actions are just too limited in their COL handling abilities to digest this new round.

Perhaps a reworking of the Marlin 336/1895 and of course the Win 94 should be at least a close fit with some work... loading gate and clearances might require some creative engineering to make them load into the magazine tube reliably from a factory model of this chambering.

But as for the smaller pistol-caliber actions, they just aren't large enough to handle the new offering.

Nice thought though!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Levergun shoots a 538 gr 30:1 cast bullet. I pack 65 gr. of Blackpowder behind it. (I think I need to compress about 68 gr in it though)

Shiloh Sharps lever action breech loader. (Falling block)

I got a 50 Cal. M/L too. Hehehee:D

·
Banned
396 Posts
500 S&W Under 50,000 Pressure

Reb said:

Interesting concept!

Reb

Everyting I've read about the new 500 S&W says it's under 50,000, so it should easily work in the stronger lever actions. it's too long for the handgun model lever action rifles, though - they're limited to 1.7" COL with a lengthened action.

I feel it's time Marlin or someone offered a 50 cal. Big Bore lever action rifle at 'consumer' prices - not $1,000 like the S&W... If they place too much of a premium on a 50cal Mod. 336 or Mod. 95, they're shootin' themselves in the foot IMHO...

MAYBE WE'LL SEE SOMETHING BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Banned
396 Posts
Talkin' & Listening :)

Levergun said:
Hey Gowge!

What do you know that we don't? :D
Back when this new Magnum 500 was released, I contacted Cor-Bon. I asked about a lever action using their loads and a few more questions about the loads.

They replied that they had indeed received some inquiries about its application in a Lever Action Rifle from some people in the "INDUSTRY". Very vague, but enough to give me some hope we'll see something before long.

Firearms Manufacturers are learning to grab the trends and run with it. S&W never dreamed they would sell as many of these big Revolvers so quick. The demand has been furious. You know what follows this much demand in a big bore handgun - everyone wants a matching lever action! ;)

GOOD LUCK & KEEP Y'ER FINGERS CROSSED!

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Gowge,

I hope you'er right about that. I sure would like to see a 500 S&W Mag Winchester 94 BigBore in the 16" barreled Trapper or Wrangler model! Talk about handy punch!

Oh well, here's hoping.

Reb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts