Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here but so far this seems like a better board than where I was! My question...I'm rebarreling my rifle and the only barrel I have on hand is a .50. For big game and long range targets which would be the most accurate, 50-90, 100,110,120,or140? Any thoughts welcome

·
Registered
254 Posts
You mentioned a 50cal barrel but no twist rate specified. You also didn't mention if you were using Black Powder or smokeless. The best all around chamberings would be 50-70 and 50-90 for a walkaround gun. The 50cal were never well known for what you have in mind. It's not that they won't work, it's the fact that their span in history was short-lived in relation to the 45's. The 50BMG is not included in this assumption. Take into account the rifles weight as well. You can't mount wheels on a sporting rifle and anything much over 7.5 pounds loses favor with me as well. Accuracy with the 50 will rely on twist rate and then bullet weight becomes paramount after the twist is established. The heavier the bullet the more powder and recoil will be necessary to get the distance you desire. So many variables that have to be determined to give a sound answer.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
TB....I have always had a special place in my heart for the plain Jane 50-70. I know it's not the traditional Buff cartridge, but of the fifties I could get it to perform best. Since its rim diameter is the same as the .348 Win, I have always wanted one on a Win 86 action. Some of the rest of the team can help you better on the larger capacity cases. For those who want to shoot these great old calibers with smokeless, the .50-70 would be best.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
251 Posts
According to what I've been able to dig up Sharps sold a fair number of 50/70 rifles in the early days of the buffalo hunting, until the 50/90 came along.
Mark

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bill Cody's rifle that got him the name of Buffalo Bill was a Springfield Trapdoor, Model 1868 I believe, in .50-70.  It sure worked for him, although the circumstances were a lot different than we have today.

My latest day dream is a .50-70 whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts