Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am currently going to colorado school of trades for gunsmithing and I am planning on building a custom bigbore levergun in 50 caliber. I cant decide between a 50 alaskan on an 1895 or a 50AE on a 1894 just wanting some opinions. thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
How about a 50 cal S&W to go along with the hand cannon?

Of the two you mentioned I might favor the 50 Alaskan. I doubt you can go wrong either way.

GOOD LUCK with the project !!

·
Registered
207 Posts
How about an 1886 in 50/110 or 50/90. Don't know for sure but I don't know if the 1895 bolt face can be opened up enough for the 348 Winchester rim.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts and I know the 45/70 is enough gun but I need a project and dont want to do a plain old bolt rifle. If you guys have any other sugestions for other calibers please feel free to say

·
Registered
668 Posts
How about an 1886 in 50/110 or 50/90. Don't know for sure but I don't know if the 1895 bolt face can be opened up enough for the 348 Winchester rim.
Yes, the Marlin 1895 can accommodate the .610" rim. The 45-70's rim is .608".

Have you looked at the Alaskan Co-pilot series from Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK? They have been doing the .50 levergun conversion for years.
http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html
Pete
He is looking to build it himself as a student of gunsmithing.

The 510 Kodiak Express. http://www.levergun.com/KodiakExpress.htm I'm sure Mic McPherson would give you some coaching on this if you run into some glitches.

http://www.levergun.com/Marlin/index.html

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
He is looking to build it himself as a student of gunsmithing.
Yep. I know that.The link was merely a suggestion, a resource that he might make use of when starting on his own project.
Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
Possum284-- Is this what you meant??

You'll see case has slight taper to it,which in a lever has to somewhat be balanced. Too much and case pushes bolt back,too little and you don't have the camming pull of a bolt action.
.50 cal gives a straight cartridge with no rim,and I didn" feel good headspacing on the case mouth!!!

.475 will give enough neck and I thought about doing that but it was just economics and equaling the 450 Alaskan cheaply.

.458 all I had to do was re-chamber,grind out a few places and this cartridge works slicker than any rimmed or belted case ever. No where near full capacity of powder has been used and with 60gr of VVN130 I get a 300 gr Barnes @ 2350. This was one load I just "hit" on early and due to job,weather when I'm home and divorce I just havn"t hade time to develop others to see what can be done. One hole groups @ 100yds it seems to work.
Any questions or help needed,let me know.
Oh, the brass on the RUM'S is thick, I have fired the same 25 cases 18 times and have not trimmed necks yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the factory twist I think 1-20 work well for heavy bullet weights or havent you had a chance to try them out,im thinking in the 500 grain and up class

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't see why the caliber you are considering should have properties that different (to barrel twist) than a heavy .458 bullet. Garrett ammo has been delivering their 540g .458 out of 1-20 twist barrels with some success (though I think their 420 bullets shoot a bit better out of the same barrels), and there are users here who have gotten great accuracy with 525 grain bullets out of 1-20 twist marlins. Of course, there is some difference between 540 and 500. Heck, there's even a guy on here that shoots 600 gain bullets out of his 45-70...you can do a search for his posts, and ask him about his accuracy.

I don't know enough to say what the optimal barrel twist is at the velocity you want to shoot at, but anything between 1-20 and 1-16 (which if I remember correctly is the barrel twist of the 458 mag) should do the job...just my two cents.

Oh, and the puma 480, a .475 cal, does well with a 1-30 barrel...lighter bullets of course (about 400g).

would the standard 1-20 twist be fast enought for 500+ grain bullets or not really

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea after further research it should be ok but I didnt know just do to the increased velocity over the 450 marlin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts