Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just looking for opinions on bullet choices. what do you guys use for your muzzleloader? Im using 260grn powerbelt hallowpoints. Ive never taken a deer with these bullets, what do you guys think about these. I also use the powerbelt 270 gn. platinum black powerbelts. Just wondering how they do on deer? should i use heavier gn bullets? Thanks to all help.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've never actually used'em but I know hunters who have and they say that they do good. Good expansion, but won't always go completely through a deer though. I like a bullet to go clean through for good bloodtrails if I need'em. I use 350 gr. Maxi-Hunters.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've killed 6 deer with powerbelts. Great expansion , real accurate in previous gun(T/C G2 .45cal., 223gr. and 100gr. 777) No pass throughs though. Probably stay away from big bones, double lung shots only(my .02$). that said, maybe I was pushing the bullet too fast. I've read on this forum that some guys get complete pass-throughs using the really big bullets(like 300gr.) and moderate powder charges, like 70-90gr. Maybe with slower velocity(like 1500-1700fps) they penetrate better, without the violent expansion characterstic at higher velocities..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use the 295 gr hollow pt or the areotip powerbelt. Get great groups at the range and so far I haven't had any problems with using them for hunting. In the '09/10 season I took 2 does and a hawg. All double lung pass thru shots and the blood trail was second to none. This past seson'10/'11, I've taken a large body buck with a basket 6pt. Again, pass thru no problem with the blood trail.
I shoot 90 grains JSG, 295 GRAIN POWERBELT and I use Remington Kleanbore Primers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts