Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jack, for about 25 - 30 yrs, I’ve shot in an outlaw/unofficial 22LR league, started by some cousins. It’s a 50 foot indoor and 100 ft outdoor, iron sight league. We all shoot the the same target, from Targetz.com and use the same ammo, CCI HP mini-mags. Over the yrs, I’ve shot numerous rifle, Rugers, Remingtons, Savages, Winchesters and CZs.

As part of my on going quest for the perfect 50’ iron sight league rifle, I’m always looking for new ones. My current main rifle is a Ruger Precision Rimfire, fitted with open sights for the league rules, the backup is a Remington 510 TargetMaster. After numerous calls and emails, I’ve narrowed it down to either a Savage B22 Precision or a Christensen Arms Ranger 22. Both are heavy barreled bolt actions, after talking to both technical departments, the barrel diameters are workable for a front sight and the also both have picitinney rails , to mount the rear peep sights. Also both are in the sub $700 price range.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,756 Posts
The Ruger you own has rails and easily swappable barrels for less than $700....
So I'm not sure if you have a question, or are just letting us know what you're up to? 🤷

Sounds like a fun gig though, so welcome to the forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I probably worded it poorly, Yes I’m looking for viable input on the particular Christensen and Savage models.

I’m very satisfied with the Ruger Precision Rimfire, its set up with a M1 style, fully adjustable rear sight and either Savage or Benelli (depending on what web ad you use) tactical shot gun, fully adjustable front sight (all have the same 22 mm/7/8” barrel dimension). It works very well.

The league is based on (5) 10 shot target, each with a possible 100 points, your weekly average is the average of all 5 targets. Last year I averaged 97.6 (for the whole yr) and came in 6th in the final standings. We have people shooting everything from a mid 50s era Montgomery-Wards bolt action to $5000+ Vudoos, with bolt actions, semi-autos and single shots. There are currently 60-80 weekly shooters and sometimes up to 20-30 guest shooters.

My original thought as a second RPRF, one set for 50 ft and one set up 100 ft, then I was reading and thought that maybe a completely different rifle, might be a possible option.

A1FAEB5C-5D09-4E16-93F9-2D9038F9672C.jpeg
F0CE7E4E-7D84-4386-B095-6A1EEE14395C.jpeg
6BCDE949-038D-4FA7-BBD7-74B597D0CA5B.jpeg

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,756 Posts
1) Yes I’m looking for viable input on the particular Christensen and Savage models.

2) My original thought as a second RPRF, one set for 50 ft and one set up 100 ft, then I was reading and thought that maybe a completely different rifle, might be a possible option.
1) Can't help with the Chris, but Salvage I can. Savage is, and always has been; a crap shoot for quality. Some examples have decent parts fit, others are a sloppy ill fitting combination of junk parts. The accu-trigger are a very soft substrate metal, with a very very thin hardening. So with very little wear, you get into mush, and constant half-drops.
I still have one Savage rifle, because it was a "good" example of assembly. The other several dozen I've owned, not so much...

2) Owning multiple rifles is ALWAYS an option. ;);)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
If I were shooting that match, I'd mount good sights on my CZ 452. Old Lyman or Redfield target sights for a M75 Win would be perfect if you're shooting off a bench. If position shooting, I'd buy the Model 75 with the sights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Than you for the response, I like the sights I’m using.

I will never own another CZ, the 452 (bought used), I had would not shoot straight, the first 455 has a bad bolt and the second 455, the stock split, neither issue CZ was willing to do anything about. On the bolt, I was told, it was normal and I had to learn European style of running the bolt, it was rough and felt it was running on sandpaper bearings. They said the split stock was because, I dropped it, which I had not. I sold them ASAP and will NOT buy another, you could not give one.

I would be severely hesitant to buy another used rifle, unless I knew the rifle or the seller real well, everyone I’ve ever bought, turned out poorly, except for the Remington 510 TargetMaster, which looks like it went through a cement mixer, but shoots like a dream, with a Williams peep sight.

Over the yrs, I’ve used 7 different rifles in the league, with varying degrees of success. I was just thinking about another rifle, I know two people with the Savage B22 Precisions, both are set up with scopes (not legal in the league), one has shot it twice and one has not shot it yet, and I know no one with a Christensen.

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
There's a sticky about rough CZ bolts and also a primer on lapping the crown. CZ seems to think horseshoe rasp do good enough job.
BUT, I'd put my 452 up against anything. CZ is the only new gun I'd consider buying, but its because I can fix whatever is needed so look more to the 'foundation' than the 'trim'. I've traded, sold and given away guns I'd dearly love to have back. One was a M75 Target with a fiddle back stock. I'll recognize it if it shows up again.
BTW-- the only way to crack a 22 stock is drop it or overtighten a tang screw with a round action.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My real problem with CZ was their extremely arrogant attitude, it was the “ we make perfect firearms, how dare you, a mere peasant, question us”. The split stock was not my fault, I bought it, shot it 3 or 4 times, did nothing to it except clean it, had an operation on my shoulder, it sat in a gun safe from May to August, pulled it out, it was split. I sold it for $50 to my cousin, he had the stock repaired, over the years it split 2 more times.

To me it a lot like the Ford-Dodge-GM truck debate, everyone had their favorites. My cousin has had terrible luck with GM vehicles, I driven GM products for well over 2 million miles, over the last 45+ yrs, with no major issues. The one Ford I had was a disaster, the Dodges made the Fords look good. YMMV

I don’t shoot anything, but 22LR now, I got rid of everything else, no pistols, just rifles. I shoot basically for a couple reasons, I like my alone time at the range, but I also enjoy the league, and will enjoy it more next year, as my 14 yr old grandson will also be participating, along with the usual cousins, classmates, family, friends and their friends and family. It’s like a block party, family and high school reunion rolled into one.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Shoot what you like and forget everyone else. But don't be surprised when somebody else has something better that works for them.

Good luck and all the best.

And BTW...I had a 63 F10 and 71 F100 that I would love to have back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Christensen Arms Ranger 22, 22LR arrived today. I installed the front and rear iron sights, will try it out in the morning.

F37D2522-9398-4F35-BC44-7F9F002E92F4.jpeg
911371C1-8B57-43DC-A6F5-ACEF4DBCECEA.jpeg
61B6E875-3429-41CA-9E46-71293A8151FD.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran about 200 rounds through the CAR-22, it took about 40 shoots to zero it in, and is very workable. The rifle is very light, the sights work great and it’s very ergonomically comfortable, I did order a couple different muzzle brakes, and will see if either one works or looks better, I do not like the barrel thread nut that came with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts