Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting patched round balls through my multiple side lock riffles and pistols for some time and have molds for round balls at .490. I have also shot a multitude of sabot style conicals and the like. I am interested in getting in to maxi balls, not necessarily Minie balls with the conical base but the solid base three ring maxi type. I am looking to get a .50 Maxie mold, I am wondering what size I need to fit best for a .50 rifled barrel and if any one could provide a link to a good brand it, if so it would be very much appreciated. All constructive opinions and input also welcome.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My experience with Maxi ball has been good with .36, .45 and .50cal. My .50 cal. mould was a T/C mould and so marked. The bullet was shot as cast and lubed by hand with Wonder Lube or T/C lube-these may have been the same. The Front band was larger and required a bullet starter. It would appear that this band was groove diameter and the rest bore size approximately. The Maxi's shot well. I still have my low end T/C in-line that was a match winner shooting Maxi's from this mould. Keep in mind that my experience was with a T/C mould fired in a T/C barrel. Also keep in mind that one of the major makers of in-lines warned against using Maxi balls for fear of the projectile coming unseated in the barrel.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,957 Posts
The mould was made by Lyman, check with them.

RJ

Reactions: cap_n_ball
1 - 4 of 4 Posts