Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good ones being produced? I have a Model 500 S&W so I already load and have everything on hand. Wouldn't mind picking one up. Would love a Henry -- do they make them?
Thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The only company producing lever guns in 500 S&W that I'm aware of is Big Horn Armory. Here is a link to their site http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/.

If you've got the money I'd say it would be one **** of a package in either the rifle or the carbine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah...they aren't exactly giving 'em away. If you are interested in a rifle chambered in 500S&W that isn't a repeater T/C put out a carbine version of the Encore in 500.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Look around here for the thread where we disussed this before. My brother-in-law had a deposit down with Big Horn Armory for nearly a year to buy the .500 lever gun and it never materialized. (I think his deposit was with Huntington's in Oroville California, rather than directly with Big Horn, therefore he got his money back.) Big Horn has ads all over the place and I don't think they have made a production gun yet. I wonder what will become of all that deposit money if no gun is ever produced? This looks very much like an underfunded company taking deposits on guns that may or may not be produced so they can keep afloat.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Here is my opinion....for the money spent on one of these (and they are probably worth it), Why not just get a suitable Marlin or Winchester, rebarrel and rechamber for the 500? The cost of the Marlin or Winny plus the new barrel and chambering....and, an action rework if need be for the new cartridge would most likely not cost as much as the Big Horn........and, at least you would not have your 600.00 deposit tied up, and wait indefinately to get the rifle.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Agree with Flat Top. I think a good candidate would be a Rossi M92 in 454 Casull. The M92 is a stronger action. Not sure if it could be done but that is a good suggestion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here is my opinion....for the money spent on one of these (and they are probably worth it), Why not just get a suitable Marlin or Winchester, rebarrel and rechamber for the 500? The cost of the Marlin or Winny plus the new barrel and chambering....and, an action rework if need be for the new cartridge would most likely not cost as much as the Big Horn........and, at least you would not have your 600.00 deposit tied up, and wait indefinately to get the rifle.
Agree with Flat Top. I think a good candidate would be a Rossi M92 in 454 Casull. The M92 is a stronger action. Not sure if it could be done but that is a good suggestion.
Couple of problems with this I can think of right off the bat.

1st - The 500 S&W's OAL is much too long to fit in a '92's action.

2nd - While strong, I don't think that the '92 can take the increased bolt thrust of a 60,000psi .50 cal round.

The 65,000psi 454 Casull has a bolt thrust of 11,762psi while the 60,000psi 500 S&W has a bolt thrust of 13,038psi.

For comparison, the 35,000psi 357mag's is 3,948psi while the 36,000psi 44mag's is 5,905psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts