Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Comes Down To This......,

........how fast can you work a lever and recover from the recoil to get back on target.

I have a Marlin 1895,with a 16" bbl and a highly slicked action, and hot handload 405gr WFNGC's. I practice by putting a 6" paper plate a various distances and see how fast I can hit it three times with the weapon. (timed with a club timer)

Recover from recoil....work the action....get back on target....fire another AIMED round. Try it starting at a mere 15yds. Move to 25 then 50. See how well you do.

To me.......more recoil means more time back on target and/or less accuracy. A trade off for sure.

For me.....I got all I want in a "happy medium" recoiling weapon.

But the 500 lever is definitely interesting. ----- pruhdlr

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point pruhdlr, but if I hit my target with the first shot, it is most like on the ground making follow up shots easier to execute. ;)
Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
That would be one fun lever.
I would go for it, but im sure one could go on an out of state hunt for the cost of a rifle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be one fun lever.
I would go for it, but im sure one could go on an out of state hunt for the cost of a rifle.
I agree. I have a call into them to see if they will quote the price.
Dan

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have lusted after a lever action in .500 mag since I got my handgun in that caliber. I hope I can afford one. I might even be willing to trade into that.

·
Banned
199 Posts
........how fast can you work a lever and recover from the recoil to get back on target.

I have a Marlin 1895,with a 16" bbl and a highly slicked action, and hot handload 405gr WFNGC's. I practice by putting a 6" paper plate a various distances and see how fast I can hit it three times with the weapon. (timed with a club timer)

Recover from recoil....work the action....get back on target....fire another AIMED round. Try it starting at a mere 15yds. Move to 25 then 50. See how well you do.

To me.......more recoil means more time back on target and/or less accuracy. A trade off for sure.

For me.....I got all I want in a "happy medium" recoiling weapon.

But the 500 lever is definitely interesting. ----- pruhdlr
Very true, but running the figures on the .500 S&W it looks to be about the same as a .45/70 anyway in terms of performance and therefore recoil.

Which might make us wonder, "what's the point?"

And I guess "Because they can" is probably a good enough argument. Like the look of the rifle, though, they say it's a cross between an '86 and a 92 but I reckon they took its styling cues off the '71. Classic.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ab-So-Toot-Lie

nimrod, your absolutely correct sir.

I believe that all of us here are fairly well informed individuals and will attest to the fact that a well loaded .45-70,spittin' out a well made hardcast, with wide meplate, and given the SD of the two bore diameters/bullets,the .45-70 is all the killin' power that is needed for any animal that 99.9% of us will ever encounter.

Most of the talk that I hear from the "uninformed" re. the .45-70, is from the people that read the stats on the back of the boxes made by Winchester and Remington. And the bullets used by both.

That just wont do for me. --- pruhdlr

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of the talk that I hear from the "uninformed" re. the .45-70, is from the people that read the stats on the back of the boxes made by Winchester and Remington. And the bullets used by both.

That just wont do for me. --- pruhdlr
LOL!

+1 on that pruhldr :D
Dan

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
[I wonder how much?]

MSRP starts @ $1889.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts