Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 8 3/8" 500 smith. I want to mount a scope. Does anyone know what base I need for this gun? I assume it will replace the rear sight that is held on with 2 screws? Will it fit right out of the box or does it need some gunsmithing? Any part #'s and where to find it would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
IMO send it to SSK and have them install a TSOB mount. They will drill more holes but it will be rock solid and won't come loose with time. I think they mount with between 4 and 6 screws, minimum of 4. I have this mount on all my hard kickers, and one a whole lot more powerful than the .500 S&W, and after several thousand rounds it has not budged or needed tightening even once. If the TSOB can stand up to the .50 Alaskan with full power loads the .500 S&W will be a walk in the park. The TSOB also allows you to use multiple rings. I usually use 3 or 4 rings to keep everything in place. Most of those 'drop in' mounts only use two rings which is not ideal for a hard kicking handgun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Whats the turn around time from ssk and how much does it cost for the mount and 3 rings?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts