Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to work up some quiet loads for my 1895CB and need to find a place that has bullets cast around pure lead. Please don't tell me to start casting, I have no desire to. doug

·
Beartooth Regular
2,164 Posts
41Fan,
       Here's an off the wall idea. What about the conical bullets designed for muzzleloaders? I don't know their exact diameters, but I do know they come in 45 caliber and they are pure lead. An example would be the Buffalo Bullets hollow base bullet. I might be tempted to take my micrometer to the sporting goods shop and check them. Just a thought, in case no one knows of a commercial source for pure lead bullets for cartridges. Good luck in your search!  :biggrin:  ID

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cabela's (cabelas.com) sells bullets made by Montana Precision Swaging that are intended for the Black Powder cartridge crowd.  They are not pure lead but darn close to it, and come pre-lubed with SPG.  Those would probably work best of any commercial bullet for what you are proposing.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Doug- You might check out Lymans LRHP bullet line. They list .459 bullets in 500 & 535 grains. These are designed for black powder use, so should be plenty soft. The only real down side is that they would be too long to cycle through your action.  Most muzzleloader bullet manufacturers offer 45 caliber bullets, but I don't believe they commonly go up to 500 grains. 250 to 275 grains seem to be the norm. -----------------------------Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
41; I too am interested in this project, however,  I am going to try roundballs first.  So far I have pushed 490 through a LEE Sizer die to elongate a ball, come out looking like a bullet.  45 caliber balls seem to run 456 or 457 and .50 cals are .490, which would rattle down your bore.  I cast, so I could make them if I had a mold.  I doubt your squibs would be a high volume deal, where do you live.  You need to find a like-minded fella who casts who'd pour you a hundred or so.  I live in Northern, IL.  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts