Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the lowest and highest capacity you have measured for a 50BMG?

Wikipedia says 292.8 gr H2O (18.97 cm3) for 50BMG.

That's all I could find. How much do you think it will vary from one manufacturer to the other?

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Not over 5% out of spec. BUT you have no idea what specification brass was made to, so some other country could decide to use very hard, very thin brass "knowing" it'll never be re-loaded. The best way is to measure it.

Reactions: Trent12

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Twice fired PM 45 .50 BMG holds 301.0 grains of H2O.
Once fired LC 54 holds 294.3 grains of H2o

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info.

So a manufacturer can manipulate the capacity for whatever reason by using thinner, harder brass?

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
So a manufacturer can manipulate the capacity for whatever reason
Well, he manipulates all he possibly can by saving money while still meeting specifications. I know of no requirement for a brass cartridge case to be re-used. You've probably seen the two piece heads and plastic bodies and zinc plated steel cases and wound steel cases in artillery and tanks. All of them would be better for the reloader if they were high quality brass because we know we can re-use those without too much drama. The other stuff only has to work perfectly ONE time.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks for that info.

So a manufacturer can manipulate the capacity for whatever reason by using thinner, harder brass?

Thinner. harder? If the brass is going to form, stretch and or flow I am the fan of eliminating all that case travel. The one thing I do not want in a case is a case that is hard, brittle and thin. And then there are factors.

F. Guffey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts