Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Which would you pick?

• Ruger 50th Anniversary .357 Magnum

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum

Votes: 11 52.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a 50th anniversary Blackhawk 44 or 357 since they came out, but can't seem to make up my mind between them, so....

I have 2 44s and 2 357s already, plus a Marlin 357 carbine.
I like both calibers, and the way each of the guns is set up.

Which would be your preference and why?

Andy

p.s. I ain't buying both of them, that's cheatin'.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've seen and handled the 44 version.

I'll be honest I wasn't too impressed with it. I think that the 357 will carry it's value alot longer. Don't send me hate mail about bashing the 44 either as I own 6 of them as well as 5 of the 357's. IMHO - I would just rather have the 357.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I'd take the .357 only because I already reload for it. Don't currently reload for .44 I used to, but I sold the gun and dies years back. My current "big bore" is a .45LC and I don't have any real interest in getting back into .44's.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Lee, ya get the .357 and then have it worked into a .41! :D

Id go with the .357 myself except I have a few .357s now and the latest is a nice clean well maintained three screw 4 5/8th inch blued and it shoots very nice.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Lee, ya get the .357 and then have it worked into a .41! :D

Id go with the .357 myself except I have a few .357s now and the latest is a nice clean well maintained three screw 4 5/8th inch blued and it shoots very nice.
I did that in order to get a .357/.44 Bain & Davis Redhawk. Grandson just loves it, and the .357 / .44 Bain & Davis Marlin 1894 that he talked me out of last Chrismas.(Birthday is day after) Oh well, You can't take it with you, and I know both will be cared for when I'm gone.

All that said, I still love the old Scott's remark when he was told that he couldn't take it with him. "Well laddie, if I can'na take it with me, then I ain'na going."

·
Banned
87 Posts
I voted for the .357. Like most of the others here, I've owned .357, .44, and 45C. After owning and reloading for the 45 Colt the .44 mag went down the road since I can load the 45 colt to outperform the .44 and with less recoil. I also believe the .357 is the best all around revolver caliber so it would be a great anniversary addition.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I voted for the .44 Mag, but it was close to a tossup. I've been wanting the .44 Special (and bought one yesterday) so I went with the one closest to that.

If I were getting another and choosing between 357 Mag and 44 Mag, I'd still probably get a .44. I've always thought of the .44 as better suited to SA revolvers and the .357 to DAs. To me, the 357 is for defense and the .44 is for hunting, and that's where I generally categorize the DA and SA also.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I went with the .357 as it's a bit cheaper to feed, but the .44 is really more flexible. It's easy to get a .44 to shoot in the .357 power class, but it's impossible to get a .357 to shoot in the .44 HP class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.