Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new guy here and wanted to introduce myself. I have been shooting BP rifles and pistols for several years but have not been shooting BP revolvers on a regular basis. Just recently got into cowboy shooting and pu a couple of 51 navy caplock revolvers mfg by Pietta.  The Cal is 36. Have had no problems except that they lock up tight after about 36rds. Does anyone have a lube suggestion or should I just figure on breaking down the pistols and reclean and lube during a match?

Thanks, Mike Magnuson

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mike:
  I don't have much experence with C&B revolvers, but that's a common problem. I'd suggest using lots of bullet lube on the cylinder pin and over the balls. Get rid of all the petroleum type lube anywhere powder residue sticks and rub on some good BP lube and give it a try. You don't expect to stay clean when you're smokepoling anyhow.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack, I used white lithium lube for base pin and cylinder paw. I also used  wonder lube over the rb. I will try your suggestion of using another lube like TC or wonder lube. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to disassemble the revolver during the shooting session to keep it operating easily. You're right c/b's are messy to shoot but fun. One thing is that you can shoot long periods without alot of outlay for ammo.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack, thanks for the suggestion of replaceing the lithium lube I am currently using. I will try some wonder lube or TC Butter . I will probably just have to disassemble and clean revolver during a shooting session to keep it operating efficiently. I have found that the Pietta mfg revolvers are quite accuate and function well. Any other shooters have any comments on these 51 navy's?

Thanks, Mike

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mike:
 I should have told you why as well as how. Some petroleum products form an asphalt when they're used as black powder lubes. A friend of mine grabbed the grease gun off the tractor when he got his new smokepole home. Took him a long time to clean it. Always use a vegetable or animal based lube with BP. See the chapter on lubes in Dr. Sam Fadala's Black Powder Handbook.

Bye
Jack

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
You might try a really cost effective and functionally effective lube on that revolver of yours.  Pure Lard available at the grocery store for about &#362.00 per bucket will work wonders for many years of shooting!  It will season your bore like wonder lube will and won't get hard and gummy like petroleum products when  used with black powder.  Nope, not high tech, not flashy, not even very creative, but is sure is effective!

Good shootin' and God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts