Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,526 Posts
And primers have changed a lot, too, since Phil's time. One of the interesting things about his book is the ups and downs of primer development during the move to non-corrosive primers in the sporting world.

But if someone is sitting on a stash of Hercules Hi-Vel #2, yeah, you can get load data for that in his book.... :p

On a serious note, had I something long obsolete with very limited data, at a minimum I would measure case capacity and whip up some data in Quickload as a sanity check. That, and a chronograph, would be heads and shoulders above hundred year old data with powders that have been reformulated no telling how many times over the decades.

·
38,526 Posts
Case capacity, bullet mass, and bore diameter don't "know" the age of gun, or the year the cartridge was invented. It's all pretty basic when you look at it from that perspective. Find two cartridges, one a bit less, and one a bit more case capacity, of the same bore size and there ya go, fairly easy to see what is realistic, and what is not.

Gigantic black-powder cartridges, that gets a little more difficult. Mostly due to lack of things to compare to.

·
38,526 Posts
Nick's 'opinion' of extrapolation isn't idle talk. It's a fundamental tenet of higher math. If you don't know the difference between interpolation and extrapolation, I suggest you don't get in a math debate with him ;)

How many of those loads that you "extrapolated" did you have pressure tested? Just curious. Do you have Quickload or any other pressure modeling software?

·
38,526 Posts
I think it would be fascinating to see actual pressure testing done on your "proven safe loads" to see how close your guessing, and reading of signs, got you to the end point. Hey, if you hit within a few percent of what you were targeting as pressure, I'll be severely impressed!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts