Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting the 50 Alaskan for some time now, I have used  several different reloading powders, IMR 4198, H. 322, with a 475 gr.,beartooth  bullet.  I have gotten 2060 fps with IMR 4198 and now I am trying to get 2100  fps with H. 322 .  I have now gotten some information that several different people are using a 525 gr. gas check bullet with the benchmark reloading powder and are getting velocities of 2000 fps or more.  I have called on the telephone some of these people and they have  come firm  this.  I have even gotten reloading data using benchmark and a 525 gr. bullet.  I've also mention this to bear tooth  bullets, and more than likely I think, you'll see between a 525 gr. bullet and 550 gr. bullet, gas check from bear tooth bullets.  I hear a lot of talk of different calipers being suited for dangerous game or large game hunting.  I can't imagine anything that someone could not  hunt with a 525 gr. bullet going 2000 fps second. the 50 Alaskan I think has a great potential,   as  in really has not been used and now I think you'll see more data on this round and it will show just how  awesome it is.  Hard to argue with the facts and data.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HI,

I am replying to may own post,as I have learned a few things regarding the 50AK.I have moved from the 50AK to a 50-110,which shoots the same bullet .510 and weight,but with about 250fps more.The case of the 50-110 is 2.4 and the 50AK is 2.1,I could get 2000fps with a 50AK,but would be pushing it to its limits with the 50-110 I can get 2200fps with a 525 grain without any problem.The only thing is I had to move to a Win86 as the Marlin cannot handle the COL and pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Kevin

I have a 71 Browning that I'm going to have rebarreled in 50 Alaskan and was wondering if you had any recommendations for gunsmiths.  Also, have you tried any of the new Starling 50 Alaskan brass?  Bullet recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI,

I would talk to Dave Clay at, [email protected],he is doing a Win 86 in 50-110,which will push the same .510 bullet like the 50Alaskan,but about 250fps more.I have tried beartooth 475 gas check bullets and found them to be great.The only problem is getting them as it takes months to get them,a long back log.I have not tried the starline brass for the 50AK,but will try them for the 50-110,I heard they are very good,they are a little thicker than the 348 brass.You might want to talk to MR. Clay as he does great work and the 71 can handle the 50-110 and it will shoot the 50AK too. Thanks,Kev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts