Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. Thanks in advance for info. My family has hunted elk very effectively with 54 Cal T/C Renegades since the 1970's. My brother wants to advance to some kind of 54 Cal inline but I can't find any out there in a 54 Cal. My brother in law has a Remington 54 Cal but I don't think those are being made any more. Any help?
He is also tinkering with using sabots but that's a big change from the maxi-ball that he's always liked. I'd also appreciate any comments on sabots with elk. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am new to this forum. Thanks in advance for info. My family has hunted elk very effectively with 54 Cal T/C Renegades since the 1970's. My brother wants to advance to some kind of 54 Cal inline but I can't find any out there in a 54 Cal. My brother in law has a Remington 54 Cal but I don't think those are being made any more. Any help?
He is also tinkering with using sabots but that's a big change from the maxi-ball that he's always liked. I'd also appreciate any comments on sabots with elk. Thanks Jim

Have you considered a White Rifle? White Rifles are one of the finest conical shooting rifles in the World. The .50 caliber conical bullet will do the job just fine. I own three Whites. For deer and such I shoot 70 grains of powder and a 460 gr conical. If I were going to hunt elk I would use the 495 grain conical and 100 grains of powder. There is nothing that could take a hit from that rifle. Doc White has even hunted large game in Africa with the White Rifle system.

White also makes a .54 caliber rifle, a .451 caliber and a .410 caliber as well as the .504 that I shoot. That would be my recommendation for a rifle.

That is the kind of accuracy a White, loaded properly can do.

This is the 460 grain conical and the expansion you achieve with 65 grains of powder. Think if that was kicked up to 100 grains of powder.

I realize a chunk of firewood is not the same as a game animal, but with a light powder charge the bullet will do some impressive penetration. This of course is just an idea of what a good conical bullet can do. Granted it is not speeding along at 2000 fps, but what it hits.. knows it has been hit.

As for sabots, they make such quality sabots today that they took are good hunting loads. Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Thor, are all good brands of projectiles that can be shot out of a sabot. Their downrange energy is very impressive. You can do all of this with a .50 caliber and do not need to go to a .54 caliber. In fact for sabots I would suggest a .50 over the .54 as there is a lot better selection of stuff to shoot.

This was yesterday, seeing how well the Speer 300 grain .452 diameter Deep Curl Gold Dots shoot out of my T/C .50 caliber Black Diamond XR. With that kind of powder charge... that bullet would have a lot of down range energy.

I then shot some of the Barnes all copper, MZ Expanders with about as much powder as you should shoot. That bullet I know would do an elk just fine. BUT another good bullet is Nosler Partition 300 grain. A poster on another forum shoots them and has killed elk at 185 yards with them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you happen to live in the West Tennessee area a place in Union City, TN called Final Flight Outfitters has a used .54 cal White muzzleloader that I looked at just yesterday. Stainless barrel and a simmons scope too if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My son has hunted with an inline .54cal Knight BK-93 for the last 10-15 years, or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts