Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where does Garrett get his 540g .458 dangerous game bullet and does Beartooth see a market for them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talked with Randy Garrett through E-Mail sometime back and he casts his own with his own mold.  I would like to see someone offer a bullet like his but with a nose that would fit the short throat rifles.  Maybe a two diameter bullet kinda like the Remington 405 grainers.  His bullet looks good though.  It's a shame to have a good load like he has and only be able to use it in a somewhat long throated rifle though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Friends, I have a question: will Randy Garretts heavy, long loads for the .45-70 work in the Marlin 1895 Limited IV, and the Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Marlin should be ok but the Browning probably will not be.  My Win 1886 new rifle won't chamber them.  Now his 420 gr load will chamber in all rifles. Just a problem with the 540 gr.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone know if the Buffalo Bore hot and heavy loads are as "good" as Garretts? Are they as long as Randy's loads? How ell do they chamber in the 1886 SRC?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the 540g load, Garrett's website states "THIS 45-70  AMMUNITION IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE ONLY IN MODERN MARLIN RIFLES.

The Buffalo Bore data looks pretty impressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Garrett says that for the reason I stated.  Buffalo Bore will fit all rifles.  Buffalo Bore is a good load.  350 gr Speer, 405 Remington SP, and a 430 gr cast bullet.  Also Buffalo Bore has a 500 gr FMJ that should be a GOOD load for anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts