Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good mold for 54 cal conicals out of a inline?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well it depends on the inline. Then decide if you want slip fit or pressure fit conicals. Some easy to make and good for short range (100 yards and under) are the LEE REAL conicals. In the .54 they come in a 300 and 380 grain. The longer work better in the fast twist. The 300 work will in the 1-48 twist.

Another good mold is a Lyman Maxi Ball. They shoot real well and are easy to load. I have a couple custom molds that work real good. I make a 450 grain slip fit that shoots real well.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I agree with cayugad. It depends on the twist in your rifle. The faster the twist, the longer the bullet need to stabilize it in flight.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Remington 700 ML. Guess I should ask Sabotloader about the twist rate. I was thinking some thing different than 1:48 though.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The Remington is a 1-28 twist. They shoot real well with sabots. As for a conical in that rifle I would make a slip fit conical something like a no excuses. That might be a little hard to find though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 54 seems to like just about every thing I stuff down the bore. How ever last fall I tried to get some white MMP sabots with 452 Speer Gold dots to work and they refused to coperaite. The best group was some some thing like 3 feet at 50 yards and the bullets hit side ways and maybe even up side down but first for all I could tell.

The purple MMP sabot with 300gr. Speer HP gold dots work really well. Just thought I would try to start casting some of my own stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts