Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .58-caliber muzzleloading rifle with barrel that has: 1:48 twist; .580-inch lands; and .592-inch grooves. What production molds drop .58-caliber Minié/Maxi/R.E.A.L. bullets that stabilize in it?

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
I never had any luck with a Minnie Ball in a .54 or .50 with that same twist. I personally would not waste my money on the mold. Minnie Ball work better in the .577 military style rifles, but even then I never seen them real accurate. All the minnie was made for was to hit a man size target. The wound and the poor medical treatment did the rest.

Now I would guess that the maxiball made by Lyman should shoot real well out of that rifle. I shoot maxiball out of 1-48 twist in .54 and .50 with good results. Even the REAL molds made by LEE might shoot good also.

Don't overlook the roundball. Out of a .58 caliber that thing is 284 grains. That is a lot of lead to throw into something. Also they are very accurate out of most rifles.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'll second that Cayugad, a .58 ball is plenty of lead and while some rifles will shoot a minie very well with a mold that fits the bore, it is generally much easier to get acceptable accuracy with a patched ball.
I really feel that .58 caliber is just too big for conical bullets since they weigh 400-500+ grains and to get them moving at reasonable speed produces rather horrendous recoil. The standard Civil War load of a minie with 60 grains of powder produced only about 900 fps and the trajectory dropped a full foot from 50 to 100 yards.
A .570" ball is quite comfortable to shoot with 80 grains of 2f Goex, produces about 1300 fps at the muzzle and zeroed 3" high at 50 yards will be about 3" low at 100. That's not exactly a flat trajectory but is good enough to keep them all in the kill zone from the muzzle out to 100 yards. That load from a Zouave has been my elk rifle for the past two seasons but I'm looking for something lighter to carry for next season.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.