·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
Need more camo on the rifle. I'm afraid the deer can still see you! :p

Heck of a shot, John.....

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You may have shot it at that range, but was it really a hunt? When you need to carry a ballistic calculator into the field are you really hunting?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You and You

jwp475.......great setup,great scenery,great deer,even greater shot,congrats to all involved. What scope and ballistic calc is that ?? Seems I have seen that setup on a couple of hunting shows.

dmsbandit.......pls don't start ! -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, you had a tool capable of doing the job as efficiently as possible. 587 yards isn't a particularly long shot for your set-up. Ol'e Jack O'Connor took an elk at 600yds using a .270 Win with a 4 or 6X scope, 130gr Bronze Tip, and a cowboy hat on a rock for a rest. As I recall he wrote that it took three shots and that one of them broke the elk's jaw.

So, how many shots did you take to down this critter and how far did he run after the first hit? I'm also curious about the effectiveness of the 300gr SMK on this mulie. Also, what was your plan in case you only wounded him?

I have no problem with long range shooting of big game provided the right equipment is used and you certainly have all the gear. Hunting this way takes a whole different level of understanding of the game's habits and can often result in a surer shot and cleaner kill compared to more typical methods. Hopefully you did better than Mr. O'Connor did!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
For those that don't know, John has dedicated a *lot* of time, money, and effort into that long range shooting rig, and the skill to go with it. There are few people truly capable of doing this, except the occasional fluke shot, but he is one of them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great shooting and a nice buck. Looks like you have a great rig. That 338 Lapua is monster! Congratulations. Scotty

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Amazing what good equipment and preparatioin will do. I don't have a problem with this as I bet he could repeat this again and again. Even though I admire stalking handgun hunters, stalking bow hunters, and especially hog hunting with spears most in that reverse order, this is legit in my opinion. I put it above tree stands and shooting over bait.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
MikeG is correct I have invested a lot of time and money inorder to make sure that I have what it takes to accomplise my objective.
The object of the equipment is to make sure of a first round hit into the vitails of any animal that shoot at.

The bullet IMHO acts about like the cup and core bullets that we used in the 60's &70's,. At longer ranges with the velocity down a bit it is an excellent penetrator. The bullet fragments at the closer ranges much like the Bergers. So I purposely shoot rib cage shot and it is extremely effective.

I saw 2 Monster bucks, but could not get the shot that I wanted and did not fire

The high spot on the mountain to the left of an behind my head is where the shot was taken

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The scope is a S&B 5X25 PMll
Thanks for the kind words on the rifle

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The scope is a S&B 5X25 PMll
Thanks for the kind words on the rifle
Yes, I agree, you have put the money into that being a competent long range rig ! Very very nice ! And to think I was feeling good about my Zeiss LOL

·
Registered
410 Posts
Every time I see a pic of that rifle my mouth waters! That is the same one that whacked the coyote isn't it? Nice rifle, nice job!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every time I see a pic of that rifle my mouth waters! That is the same one that whacked the coyote isn't it? Nice rifle, nice job!

Yes it is

A few more that rifle whacked

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice.
Tell me a little more about the rifle if you don't mind. All I know of it is that is a .338 Lapua. It almost looks like an Accuracy International.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Awesome pictures. That looks like a sweet shooting rig. That Lapua is about as good as it gets for long range hunting. Scotty

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great looking rig, and nice shooting. What if any cross wind were you dealing with, how much correction was required. What was the down angle to the target. Well done, shoot straight and shoot often.

GF

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was no wind to deal with persay. I took a barometric pressure reading as well as temperature and humindity and plugged them into my hand held ballistics computer once we arrived at the vantage point. Once the buck was located Alexranged him and the ballistics program gave the correct scope settings.

My rifle is built n a Rem-700 action with 30" Rock Creek barrel tht was carbon wrapped by ABS. I use Lapua brass with Fed 215M primers under 92 grains of H-1000 behind the 300 grain SMK. Loaded to an over all length of 3.86 inches.

The rig is very accurate

1 - 20 of 56 Posts