Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to black powder. Picked up an H&H .58 cal Sportsman, Triple 7, & #10caps. I also got
.59 lead balls that I was told didn't need a patch. What lubricant is advisable? Planning on 100 units (Redhead loader) to start. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What is a H&H .58 caliber Sportsman? I am sure you mean a H&R .58 caliber rifle. First thing to check is whether it takes a #10 or #11 cap. I suspect it takes a #11 cap so the ones you have might not fit. Those are more common on a cap and ball revolver.

As for the Triple Seven... 100 grains is a lot of powder to START with. Try starting with 80 grains and see how you like that. You can always work up. 100 grains might be a max load for that rifle. See if you can get an owners manual and read it.

Also that would take a .570 ball with a patch. The problem you are going to run into with a .590 ball (where did you find them?) and no patch... you will lead up the rifling in the barrel terrible, also your accuracy might not be the best. Plus without a good reading of the bore size, you might just drive that ball down the barrel and play you know what, getting it out.

Be sure to use anti seize on the threads of the nipple and the breech plug if it comes out, which I suspect it does.. Can you post a picture of the rifle? I never saw one personally. I have heard of them and they were supposed to be good shooters.

If I were starting out, I would load 70 grains of powder, a patched .570 roundball, and a #11 cap. Be sure to clean the rifle well before shooting and make sure you start on a clean DRY barrel. No oil in it.

·
Banned
127 Posts
What is a H&H .58 caliber Sportsman? I am sure you mean a H&R .58 caliber rifle. First thing to check is whether it takes a #10 or #11 cap. I suspect it takes a #11 cap so the ones you have might not fit. Those are more common on a cap and ball revolver.

As for the Triple Seven... 100 grains is a lot of powder to START with. Try starting with 80 grains and see how you like that. You can always work up. 100 grains might be a max load for that rifle. See if you can get an owners manual and read it.

Also that would take a .570 ball with a patch. The problem you are going to run into with a .590 ball (where did you find them?) and no patch... you will lead up the rifling in the barrel terrible, also your accuracy might not be the best. Plus without a good reading of the bore size, you might just drive that ball down the barrel and play you know what, getting it out.

Be sure to use anti seize on the threads of the nipple and the breech plug if it comes out, which I suspect it does.. Can you post a picture of the rifle? I never saw one personally. I have heard of them and they were supposed to be good shooters.

If I were starting out, I would load 70 grains of powder, a patched .570 roundball, and a #11 cap. Be sure to clean the rifle well before shooting and make sure you start on a clean DRY barrel. No oil in it.
The only things I can add is your saleman seems to know nothing about black powder shooting. Using a bare lead ball WILL definately lead your barrel. You need to use a patched ball. You may try real black powder at some point. Also you need to try out RWS 1075 Plus caps. It is the best performing cap, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
New to black powder. Picked up an H&H .58 cal Sportsman, Triple 7, & #10caps. I also got
.59 lead balls that I was told didn't need a patch. What lubricant is advisable? Planning on 100 units (Redhead loader) to start. Any suggestions?
Well, being new to BP, I can tell you that it's a little like sex: if you do it wrong you'll hate it; but if you do it right you'll be doing it for a very long time indeed.

First, the H&R break-open is a great starter gun that many use for all their BP shooting - I've seen them conveted to use larger/hotter musket caps and 209 shotgun primers as a weather protection system.
With the right use & care, it should last a lifetime.

Second, I don't know what a "Redhead loader" is, but FWIW, black powder, or BP substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple7 should have their powder charges formed via dipping with a volumetric powder measure, and never via weighing as one would with smokeless gunpowder.
BP measures are available pretty much everywhere Triple7, etc is sold, and are marked with the various levels you can fill them to, to pour into speedloaders or directly into the barrel.

If you use a round lead ball for a bullet, it should be well under bore size, and wrapped with a linen or denim patch to both engage the rifling and seal the bore.
If you use conical bullets, they can be bore-sized, but must be lubricated.

I've had excellent luck in all my BP arms with T/C's Ox-Yoke Bore Butter 1000+ lube, but there's a LOT of choices out there, and every seasoned BP shooter has their druthers.

Let google be your friend, and search for ".58 cal black powder loads" or ".58 caliber loads"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry every one. Its a .58cal H&R Huntsman Muzzleloader that I picked up without any accessories. I took it to "Charlies Powder Keg" and that was the primer, powder, and bullet combination he gave me. Redhead is Bass Pro Shop trade name brand, volumetric loader. Elseware I've seen recommendations of 65 to 115 gr. The balls are made by a guy in Fremont, CA. If I don't care for BP shooting I'll take advantage of H&R's barrel accessory program and get shot gun and center fire rifle barrels for the action. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry, but no, you won't get any accessory barrels for the Huntsman. They fit rifle barrels only to the current production guns originally built as rifles and shotgun barrels to frames originally built as rifles or shotguns. I don't think any accessory barrels can be fitted to frames of muzzleloaders.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Get a short starter and a see through volume powder measure. Also some patch and .570 ball. You will have the time of your life. Load 80 grains for starters and touch that off. Just make sure to start on a clean dry barrel and pop a cap or 209 through it before you load the first time. I bet that is going to be a good shooter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Be sure to use anti seize on the threads of the nipple and the breech plug if it comes out, which I suspect it does..
The Huntsman operates with a press-fit breech plug secured by an O-ring. It does not have threads on the breech plug.

You might decide, like many of us, that muzzleloading is the best shooting fun to be found. If that's the case, you'll probably wind up with another rifle or two. You may even want to shoot competition. Because of the press-fit breech, the Huntsman is not allowed in National Muzzleloading Rifle Association competition.

There's some good advice to be gleaned here. If you have problems with getting started, just ask for help.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Forget buying one of these "a see through volume powder measure". You already have the Red head brand and being able to see thru the measure has no advantage.

have fun.

:D Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to give a patched ball with 75gr of 777 a try to start. The main reason I aquired this gun is that I'd heard that black powder was a kick, and this gun was supposed to be accurate and good for at least 100yrds. I wrote to H&R giving them the sreial # and model, they sent me back a price list and which barrels would work. H&R requires that you send them your action and they will fit the caliber/ga chosen, almost everything but 10ga. Thanks for the advice fellas.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Ive got a Hunntsman in .50 cal and it has a screw in breech plug and uses #209 shotgun primers. Makes it real convenient if your powder gets wet and wont fire. Easy to clean too. Just remove the breech plug in either case. Havent shot past 100 yards, but at that distance it shoots as good as a centerfire with 100 grains of Goex and a 350 gr Maxi Hunter. Mine has a scope on it too though. Just this weekend I had an idea to try and figure some sort of a capsule to allow me to shoot shot in it. If anyone has done this or has any ideas for it Id appreciate the advice. I think it would be pretty cool to squirrel and turkey hint with the muz. Not sure how good of a pattern it would hold, but it would be fun to try.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Birdshot from a rifled barrel tends to be an exercise in frustration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts