Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there is/use to shoot this round. I have a action and barrel ready to go and was researching cartridges and ran across this one and it is bascially exactly what I want. I was originally thinking a 6.5-06 30 degree... but this is basically the same. I don't want a 40 degree AI ether.

I know about the 6.5-284, the 6.5-06 and all the other 6.5's, so I don't need info on them.

I was also wondering If anyone knows if you can get say a 280 neck die and put in a .264 collet for neck sizing? I have not used any of the collet dies so I'm not quite up to par on them. I have a vickerman seater so I'm not worried there.

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In Donnelly's "Cartridge Conversion" book, he has a 6.5/280 RCBS Improved with a 33.99 degree shoulder angle (pg 784, 2002 ed). The case prep notes say:

280 Rem case. F/L size Rem. case in "Improved" die. Trim, chamfer and fireform.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the rifle all put together. I ended up using a .264 WM die to neck down and it chambers in my rifle perfectly using this die ran up till the shell holder touches the bottom of the die. I have only fired one round down the chamber, but it turned out great.

Cases from left ot right are .270 win, 6.5-06 standard, 6.5-280 30 degree. I can form the 6.5-280 brass from both .280 and .270 brass.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I might send the rifle off for blueing here pretty soon, but I plan on getting some data asap. I'll report back when I get all the numbers. I am also curious to see what it will do. I don't plan on loading it too hot, but I'll do some testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mate all you need is the Hornady neck size die, this die does not make any contact on the case body just the neck. I've been using these neck size dies for all my Improved cases 220 Swift AI, 243 AI, 270 AI and 30/30 AI.
That round should be wicked.

Good Luck
George

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. I just ran across some of those yesterday, but they did not have a .264" die at the store I was at. I also have been using the .264 WM FL sizer and it has been working great for neck sizing and decapping. I have fired several rounds in one case, so now I'm on to looking for a FL die to bump my shoulder back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run a 6.5-300 win mag.All i use for resizing is a 264 mag die.I can bump my shoulder back with it.Why do you need to move your shoulder?
Now a 6.5-300 WIn. Mag. should be a hoot!. I bet it's a barrel burner too. Of course it's not a whole lot hotter than a ..264 Win. Mag. Of course that's a known barrel burner too. Give me a garden variety 6.5-06. The barrel will last much longer and it won't be a whole lot slower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.