Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am getting into long range target shooting and rarely deer hunting. I can not decide whether to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308. I am looking for something that can give me a good ballistic coefficient, barrel life, accuracy both at 200 and 1000 yards, twist rate, and enough power down range. Since I hand load, I am not too worried about ammo availability but I am looking into heavier bullets because of their ballistic coefficient.

I currently have a Savage Axis in .243 Win. so I was thinking of possibly replacing the barrel and getting a new stock. I have an SWFA SS 12x42 scope, Talley scope mounts, and a Timney trigger on order so to save money I would preferably just be looking at a really good new barrel in one of these calibers that would fit my Savage Axis and a new stock. I am also considering purchasing a new rifle entirely. I checked out a Tikka T3X at a local gun shop and I loved how smooth the feel of the bolt was and I have only read good things about the manufacturer and their accuracy. They offer a 1:8 twist 24.4" barrel for the 6.5 creedmoor, 1:9.5 twist 22.4" barrel for the 7mm-08, and a 1:11 twist 24.4" barrel for the .308 (~$550-$650). I am also looking into the Bergara B-14 HMR (hunting & match rifle- perfect for my needs) that just came out this year which has a free floated barrel and is only available in 6.5 creedmoor and .308. It has an adjustable LOP and cheek piece stock, a threaded muzzle, but is also more expensive (~$860). If I were to go with a new rifle, I would prefer a free floated barrel for proper harmonics and consistent accuracy.

Alco has 30 cal. 220 gr. bullets with a .851 bc which is awesome but even though I was reading that 6.5 creedmoor shoots flatter at higher velocities, I cant seem to find any 6.5 or 7mm bullets that reach that bc. I want a low twist rate for better accuracy. I am looking into Bartlein barrels since I hear they are great. They offer a 1:7 twist 25" barrel for 6.5, 1:8.7 twist 27" barrel for 7mm, and 1:10 twist 25" barrel for the .308 ($345 + $10/inch up to 32"). I have also read that the .308 has a longer barrel life because of the larger caliber outlet on the brass case for gas to escape causing less barrel throat wear. I have also read that the 7mm-08 would be a good caliber to consider because in my earlier research stage I was very interested in the 7mm Rem Mag because of its great bc and power down range but because of the recoil and barrel life, I thought it would be best to go with the 7mm-80 since they are very similar. I also think it would be a good balance of the 6.5 creedmoor and .308 for the best of both worlds with twist rate, velocity, bc, power down range, and larger bullet diameter and weight. Hornady offers an ELD match 7mm bullet with a .796 bc that I am looking into.

With my current Savage Axis .243 I am using a 108 gr. Hornady ELD match bullet that I load at about 2925fps from what the chart says in the Hornady reloading handbook. I have not yet used a chronograph to measure out the exact velocity but I am going to get one for more accurate readings and to find the best and most consistent powder charge for this bullet and rifle.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions about any calibers I mentioned or ones I have not yet considered, barrels and stock options if I were to customize my Savage Axis, barrel twist rate and length, other sub MOA rifle brands, bullet manufacturers with high weights and ballistic coefficients, long range tips, muzzle breaks, compressors, or suppressors if I were to go with a threaded muzzle, or anything else you think might help. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Long range shooting? Definitely go with the 6.5CM.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.

Sounds like you have spent some time on research, I'd say in that aspect you are ahead of the curve.
Can't give you advice based on experience, since I haven't tried shooting 1000 yards with anything. That aside I'd go with what the others have said, 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
If you reload and have 308 brass, Tikka mades a 260rem if not the 6.5 creed.
The same brass could just as easily be turned in to creed cases. The creed offers a longer neck and just as much "useable" powder capacity if going with high BC bullets.

·
Banned
267 Posts
The same brass could just as easily be turned in to creed cases. The creed offers a longer neck and just as much "useable" powder capacity if going with high BC bullets.
I've made 6.5 creed's from 308's and 243's, and found there's more too it, then making a 308 into a 260. 308 into the 6.5 creed calls for more trimming. I have both, the creed and 260, and I know its just me resisting the crowd on this one, but I really like the 260rem.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I've made 6.5 creed's from 308's and 243's, and found there's more too it, then making a 308 into a 260. 308 into the 6.5 creed calls for more trimming. I have both, the creed and 260, and I know its just me resisting the crowd on this one, but I really like the 260rem.
When I stuck my toe in the 6.5 water I actually wanted a .260 but Ruger didn't offer it in the rifle I wanted. To me they are just two peas in a pod and any difference isn't worth arguing over.
For some reason the Creed is the favorite son and the .260 is the redheaded stepchild.
I'm glad I ended up with the one with more support.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
6.5 creedmoor

i know brass is around, but if you take an 22-250 and put it thru your fl sizing die then you have a 6.5cm brass. i still have many brass that used to be 22-250, nowits 6.5cm.

and its only 1 step.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
One advantage of using the .308 case to form creed brass is the neck can be turned for minimal clearance. A caution goes with this, if not neck turning make sure the reform case isn't an interference fit. If it is you'll be facing dangerous pressures.

Another vote for not using 22-250 for cases. The necks will be stretched thin and the case will end up short after fire forming.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dom, what model is your Tikka, and yes the 260rem is a fantastic round, and it appears you and I are bucking the trend when it comes to the 6.5 creed. The 6.5 creed is a good round. Trends drive sales and that's what's really happening with gun manufactures. Something allegedly new, like inventing a new mouse trap. If I didn't have a 260 rem I might lean to the creed just because of all the choices of rifles that have become available. For now, I cherish my 260 Savage #12.
I see the 260 Rem as being over looked . It appears that the name CM is a bit sexier sounding. When forming 260's from 308 one pass thru the 260 FL sizer is all that is required. ( tons of inexpensive 308 once fired brass available ) No neck turning needed. That simple. When forming CM from 308 brass you get down past the neck into the body of the case & besides the requirement of trimming to length you very likely may have to neck turn. I see the extra work as unnecessary. I know it is not much but barrel length for barrel length the 260 out preforms the CM by about 80 to 90 FPS with a 120gr bullet. This is what my chronograph says. For sure nothing to get excited about. I have been shooting the 260 Rem as the 6.5x308 for years before Rem. brought out the 260. With the Barnes 120gr "X" & now the TSX we have for sure taken our fair share of elk. See no reason for a heavier bullet as far as hunting goes. With the Barnes 100gr TTSX it will take heavy bodied muley's with complete pass thru even at acute angles & all this with 243 similar recoil. I see it as a win win.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i have fired my 6.5-250 cases about 8 or 9 times. i don't see them stretching. as a matter of fact i do not trim them anymore. i have many 6.5cm cases that are hornady that i have to trim. my 2cents also.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
i have fired my 6.5-250 cases about 8 or 9 times. i don't see them stretching. as a matter of fact i do not trim them anymore. i have many 6.5cm cases that are hornady that i have to trim. my 2cents also.
Just curious, what is the length of the 6.5-250 cases after 8 or 9 cycles?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts