Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to purchasing a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor and just want to know of any other manufacturers chambering this cartridge before I take the plunge ? I know about the Ruger, any other ?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
In my humble opinion, get the 260 remington instead. The Creedmore is an answer to a question no one was asking. It will do nothing the 260 won't and you need to buy brass because the case isn't based on a 308. All you need for the 260 cases is some lube and 243 or 7-08 cases. the only advantage to the creedmore is the longer neck, and that is of minimum value.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
DD,

If the cost of ammo for a unique round doesn't worry you and/or you plan on reloading for it, there is nothing wrong with the Creedmoor. It is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the 260 Remington, which is to say a short-action replacement for the 6.5x55 Swede, making it a fine cartridge for competition, hunting or just plain shooting. Hornady understands that the .264 diameter has not received nearly the attention it deserves in the US (largely because the .013" bigger 270 Winchester has stolen the limelight) and that Remington had certainly not set the market on fire with their 260.

In other words, Hornady saw an opportunity to make a 6.5 that people here would get excited about and buy, so they created a new round, specifically for competition shooting. Whether or not it does any better than the 260R remains to be seen, but if the Creedmoor's worst trait is that it is too similar to the 6.5 from Remington, that is, indeed, darning with faint praise. :)

To answer your question: I'm not aware of any other manufacturer producing factory barrels for this round, but I suspect it will be available for a long time to come, based on the merits of its design.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i agree with dmsbandit.--based on a case that has no peers as per say accuracy,effiecient and and readily available.--i can go on but what for. enjoy what you choose.dont like the idea of paying through the nose for exotic calibres.-to each his own as they say.-cheers.

·
Banned
991 Posts
I still am puzzled why Ruger chambered the 6.5 Creedmore in the standard blued Hawkeye and not in the All Weather version but even more surprised that the 260 was dropped from the standard model which is a hunting rifle and they have the 260 in a Compact Laminated stainless model only. They have the 6.5 in the target model. I like ruger rifles and own a lot of them, infact three Hawkeye models, but what I can't figure out is how they come up with their chambering of rifles that they change so often, sometimes, year to year.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^ I think they offer a stable of the most common cartridges and switch up each year on the less common ones to get coverage. Over 10 years, for example, you'll have lots of new/used Rugers out in lots of chamberings that way. It lets them keep inventory down on the less popular ones but still have coverage, basically. That's just my speculation, though.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Be aware on the DPMS 260 Magazine length "may" limit col with heavy bullets suitable for long range. Although I do not know about the 6.5 Creedmore. Heavy 6.5 bullets tend to me long. either way it will be a nice rifle I love my LR 308.

AL

·
Banned
991 Posts
^^ I think they offer a stable of the most common cartridges and switch up each year on the less common ones to get coverage. Over 10 years, for example, you'll have lots of new/used Rugers out in lots of chamberings that way. It lets them keep inventory down on the less popular ones but still have coverage, basically. That's just my speculation, though.
Well at least that could be what it is and a good thought, it would allow them to keep inventories down and also cost.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have a Ruger KM77VT with the 28" barrel. Its a great chambering. And for all the naysayers, yes it is based on the .308, you can make Creedmoor brass from the -08 offerings.

This cartridge was specifically designed for all the shortcomings of the 260. It matches the .260 Rem in performance, yet gives a longer neck for seating of long target bullets without crowding powder space.

·
Banned
991 Posts
I have a Ruger KM77VT with the 28" barrel. Its a great chambering. And for all the naysayers, yes it is based on the .308, you can make Creedmoor brass from the -08 offerings.

This cartridge was specifically designed for all the shortcomings of the 260. It matches the .260 Rem in performance, yet gives a longer neck for seating of long target bullets without crowding powder space.
I have the Ruger KM77VT in 22-250, just curious how accurate is your VT chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've only shot some factory ammo as I'm waiting for RCBS dies and my brass order. I also have to get a better scope for long range. Its shooting sub MOA at 100 yards. We still have 15" of snow on the ground, so I can't do any long range work until it warms up a bit.

·
Banned
991 Posts
I've only shot some factory ammo as I'm waiting for RCBS dies and my brass order. I also have to get a better scope for long range. Its shooting sub MOA at 100 yards. We still have 15" of snow on the ground, so I can't do any long range work until it warms up a bit.
That is very good if you have only shot factory ammo and it is sub MOA. I have heard that the 6.5 Creedmoor is very accurate. Good to hear that your VT is accurate. I have only worked a little with mine and it is hanging around 1 1/8" to 7/8" at present. I just need to spend a little more time with it.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Factory Hornady ammo is loaded with their AMax bullets and H4350 powder and the recipe is right on the box so it can be easily duplicated. I'm going to try some Reloder 17 when I get the dies.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Factory Hornady ammo is loaded with their AMax bullets and H4350 powder and the recipe is right on the box so it can be easily duplicated. I'm going to try some Reloder 17 when I get the dies.
I sure hope you keep us posted on your load work with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the Ruger VT. After reading much over the last two days on the 6.5 Creedmoor I find myself interested. I owned and hunted for two seasons for deer some years back with a 260. I really liked it but got caught up in other rifles and cartridges.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I hope to have load work completed by June, I have a lot of other things going on right now though.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Another thought I have is getting a 6.5 WSM chambered in a AR size receiver. Much lighter than a LR receiver and parts are much cheaper.

AL

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The WSMs won't fit in an AR 15, but the WSSMs will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts