Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that Norma has quit making 6.5 PPC brass.  Does any one know where I can find some?  Thanks

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
doberman,

This is probably not much help but it looks like you'll have to go the 220 Russian route and neck up. Lapua brass is available in that. Looked all over the web and don't see another maker of the 6.5 stuff.

Good website link below.

<a href="http://benchrest.com/FAQ/" target='_blank'>http://benchrest.com/FAQ/</a>

FWIW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Contender.  I probably will use Rem 7.62 by 39 necked down and fire formed.  I was hoping to find some of the Norma at some out of the way place because it has the correct headstamp.  I appreciate your help.

·
Banned
556 Posts
I thought one of the accuracy benefits of the PPCs is the smaller 220 Russian flash hole?

Charlie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right Charlie, I'm having Quality Cartridge load 100 rounds using brass formed from Rem 7.62 X 39 brass with the small rifle primer pocket but sure wish I could find some of that old Norma with the correct headstamp.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,140 Posts
doberman,
     I have to admit my ignorance here; the only two PPC cartridges I ever heard of are the .22 and 6mm. What bullet weights do you generally shoot in that caliber? I don't know a whole lot about benchrest guns.          IDShooter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi IDshooter,  You are right-the only factory standardized PPCs are the 6 mm and 22.  There are two PPC wildcats that I know of-the 6.5 and 7 mm.  I am not a BR shooter either.  I am having this 6.5 PPC built on a CZ 527 carbine originally in 7.62 X 39.  I'm looking for a 200 yard whitetail rifle that weighs 6 lbs and is no longer than 40".  The 6.5 PPC fits in this mini Mauser action without any bolt face or rail work so its just a rebbl and chamber job.  The .264 diameter bullet in 120 gr has a better ballistic coefficient than the 125 gr .311 diameter bullet and will give me about 50 yards more range.  I'm hoping to get 2750 fps out of the 120 gr.  Norma made brass for the 6.5 PPC wildcat for a while and that's what I'm looking for.  Thanks for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts