Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got to do a little reloading and shooting yesterday, temperature was a perfect 80 with little to no wind. The first hunting season this year is Antelope so I decided that I'd see if the 120 Nosler ballistic tip would group well in my Sauer 100. Initial testing with Hybrid 100 and Winchester 780 showed that neither were capable of sending the 120's over 3000fps from the rifle, only Superformance was capable of that. I was looking for 3250 with the 120 grain bullets was so far that didn't happen, 3150 was it with normal pressures. Every gun/cartridge combination is a little different in how they show when the pressure is getting to high and this one did it with a slight ejector mark on the case head and zero fps gain in velocity, the bolt didn't get sticky to lift and there wasn't much difference in web expansion.
BTW now is as good as time as any to add my disclaimer, the load shown here is not in any reloading manual, it may not be safe in your gun, if you choose to work up a load for your rifle I would suggest starting 5 grains under my load and going up carefully, use your brain, a chronograph and a micrometer in that order.

At the range reloading, new Hornady brass from Midway, Lee dies and a new Lyman electronic scale which came with a really cleverly designed pan/funnel all in one.

The gun, a Sauer 100 with a camo pattern/cerakote exclusive to Sportsmans Warehouse, I used a Weaver rail base which doesn't look the greatest but allows one to mount a short tube scope on a long action and move it back far enough for a upright head position, speaking of scopes it's a Leupold 4x12 VX-1 with a LRD reticle, not an expensive scope but perfectly useable for 99% of most hunters including myself.

Because of the proximity of my reloading set-up I set my bench and chronograph up at 60 yards instead of the normal 100m.

I loaded 5 rounds of the most promising load based on the chronograph results, shot one and made a sight correction and shot the remaining 4, if any of you had seen the targets I shot with the factory ammunition you'll remember how poorly the gun grouped with that overpriced ammunition. No doubt that the gun is capable of fine accuracy after seeing several groups under 1/4 at 60 yards. Please read my disclaimer in the opening paragraph, this powder/bullet combination isn't in any reloading manual and may blow your gun up and seriously injure you. Just because it worked in my gun doesn't mean it will in yours.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
For what it's worth my 6.5-06 , 24" Bbl 1/8 twist which is about the same case capacity as the PRC delivers 3277 fps with Barnes 120gr TSX over my chronograph/ The powder I use is IMR-4350. Long case life .

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dom, I wanted to stay away from extruded powders but may have to use 4350 to get the most from the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I forgot to note that I have also shot Hornady 129gr Bonded with excellent accuracy & velocity with the same powder. This bullet performs accurately , & can strike my 522yd target consistently. I also use a Leupold VX-1 4x12 with Weaver bases. Never been a problem. Do very much like you clean organized loading bench. I'm sure you will be able to get your velocity up with just a powder change. The cartridge has that potential.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kevinbear, have you tried R16 or 17? They work pretty good in the Creedmore.
I'm thinking those would have to fast a burn rates for the 6.5 prc and 120 or 140 bullets, it needs a magnum powder in the R19 to R22 range or at least I'm guessing that would be right. For some reason Hodgdon is loading it with powders they themselves say are designed for 50bmg, 6.5 nosler and all those other roman candle cartridges that have nearly double the case capacity, not sure why they think that makes sense but to me it doesn't.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since this initial testing I've switched to 129 Hornady sst, still looking for RL 26 which would seem like the holy grail for 6.5 prc, I can't believe it's been almost a year since this post.
Looking at my pictures reminds me how cold it's been here this year compared to last year and the horrible things that have happened since then, {virus}.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
For what it's worth, in my 6.5x06 24" Bbl, 1/8 twist.. Using " Badlands 125 gr mono " . Using Rel 26..264 125gr Bulldozer - Badlands precision, LLC

102 yds at my home range. I acquired several # of Rel 26. CCI # 200 LR primer. Once fired Rem 25-06 brass opened up to 6.5. If you were closer I would be glad to share 1 # of Rel 26 with you. No kidding . Would for sure.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dom, I've got a motorcycle and some cash, how far are you from Parker?

·
The Shadow
7,481 Posts
You're pushing 1,000 miles away, Kevin.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For some reason I was thinking he lived in southwest Colorado.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I used to live in SW Colorado. Moved to W. Montana this past early spring. But so what . 1000 miles, one day coming one day going back. & a beautiful trip.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My neighbor's and I had a ride planned to Montana this year until the [email protected]#$ show of covid 19 hit, maybe next year.
The local Sportsmans warehouse had an 8# keg a few months ago, probably should have bought in and sold 4#'s to friends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts