Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time many moons ago,
I posted a question regarding a longer 45 colt based wildcat for a levergun. A 94 Winchester to be more exact. Well, brass was the first problem, and to have brass made by the great folks at Starline, was , well, just too much money. Soo....
I recently discovered 65 brass is the same O.D., at the base.

How could I headspace this, if I were to blow it out straight, like the 45?

Would I have to go with my other idea, of using 7mm/300 WinMag brass, so I could use the belt?

Muchas Gracias
JuanTedman

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
If I understand you correctly. You are looking for something like the 445 Super mag with the longer case but in 45 Caliber?

If I'm right, you may look at the 45 Silhouette based on a cut down 45/70 case.

Regards

·
Registered
178 Posts
A large rimless case that headspaces on the case mouth can be done. Ken Howell did his .444 rimless this way from '06 cases, and the only caveat that I have heard is that careful case care is required.

The easy, safe way for straight cases is of course a rim or a belt. I chose the .240 Weatherby for my .416 TAS ( the development thus far is well documented here ) for this reason.

One thing to look at with the 6.5x55 to .45, you mention, is whether or not you will have adequate case taper for extraction. In bolt actions very little taper is needed, but some is still required. In a lever or other actions I would guess more is needed, but I am not sure how much. AI cartridges seem to work universally well, and likely have the minimum taper required to acheive trouble free extraction.

Fireplug

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
A number of rimless European cartridges also have rimmed (or 'flanged') counterparts for doubles, drillings, etc.

How about using a rimmed version of 7x57, 8x57, etc., as a starting point?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The .307/.356 Winchester cases are rimmed versions of the .308 Winchester. .45 ACP ammo was originally made from cut down .30-06 brass. Since the .308 is a shortened version of the 30-6, the .307/.356 brass out to do it.

This is the same as MikeG's suggestion, using American brass.

·
Registered
57 Posts

The case is already developed and it has a rim, it's called the .454 Casull. I don't know if the lever guns can handle the .454 at max pressures, but I bet it gives the 45-70 a run for it's money with the 360gr and lighter bullets.
Willie

·
Registered
827 Posts
On the 45-70 cut down, i thought the 45-70 was pretty tapered and thus wouldn't be .45 if shortened (isn't that what the 475 Linebaugh is based on?) also it may be that the case head is large enough to require extensive mods to the bolt face(?) and extractor.
(can't spell)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts