Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there shoot this cartridge or have any data/info on it? I'm thinking about this chambering in a 17-18 inch Encore barrel. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Assassin --->

Could you please list several of the velocities for the mid to heavy weight bullets in this chambering.

I am fixin' to get a 375JDJ bbl and the 6.5 is interesting also. I have acquired a bunch of new 444Marlin brass and besides my Marlin Outfitter am itching to do something with it.

Thanks for your time. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
broom_jm,

yes, I have seen several 22X444's as well as 17X444...

Did you look at the base of the chamber in that link you posted? That looks like a deluxe butcher job and I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial 10 ft. pole....

A

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I didn't really look at it that close: You're right, though, it looks like someone did the finish work with a ball-peen hammer! I am figuring case capacity of a 22X444 at ~60gr of H2O...or 10% more than a 223 WSSM. That oughta get things moving right along, huh?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The load data for the 6.5X444 Improved listed below is from me as well as a couple of other guys that shoot this same round. All load data was "safe" in our rifles and is NOT intended to be used as starting loads in any other rifle or handgun. Also, load data was from custom BARREL STUBBED rifles and were "throated" specifically for the long VLD bullets...

Here is a picture of one of the rifles....

6.5X444 Improved load data -

CASE: Remington nickel plated 444 Marlin

PRIMER: Federal B-R

POWDER: Reloader-19 / 48.2 gr.

BULLET: Hornady 140 gr. A-MAX

VELOCITY: 2,862 fps.

....................................................................................................................

POWDER: IMR-7828 / 49.2 gr.

BULLET: Berger 140 gr. VLD

VELOCITY: 2,812 fps.

....................................................................................................................

POWDER: AA-3100 / 50.2 gr.

BULLET: Sierra 142 gr. Match King

VELOCITY: 2,800 fps.

POWDER: Viht N-165 / 50.2 gr.

BULLET: Sierra 120 gr. Match King

VELOCITY: 3,000 fps.

PRIMER: Winchester WLR

POWDER: IMR-7828 / 50.5 gr.

BULLET: Hornady 160 gr. Round Nose

VELOCITY: 2,718 fps.

PRIMER: CCI-200

POWDER: IMR-4350 / 53.5 gr

BULLET: Sierra 100 gr. H.P.

VELOCITY: 3,429 fps.

PRIMER: Winchester WLR

POWDER: IMR-4831 / 50.3 gr.

BULLET: Swift Scirocco 130 gr.

VELOCITY: 2,929 fps.

I hope this helps....

A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts