Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Swedish mauser made in 1906 by Husquavarna that I have converted to a long-barreled sporter. The Beartooth 135 grain 6.5mm gas checked cast bullet is available in .265" and .266" diameters. Which one should I load?

I know that the best way to determine groove diameter is by slugging the barrel but was wondering if anyone out there in Beartoothland had already slugged their Swedish mauser.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,014 Posts
Remember the disc that was embedded in your rifle stock? It had your rifle's barrel bore diameter stamped on it when it left the arsenel.

If you no longer have it, why not obtiain both diameter lead bullet? One oversize by 2 thousandths even isn't going to hurt anything. Try them both and see which one gives you the best accuracy.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Interested!

NITRO said:
I have a Swedish mauser made in 1906 by Husquavarna that I have converted to a long-barreled sporter. The Beartooth 135 grain 6.5mm gas checked cast bullet is available in .265" and .266" diameters. Which one should I load?

I know that the best way to determine groove diameter is by slugging the barrel but was wondering if anyone out there in Beartoothland had already slugged their Swedish mauser.
I do not have any data on the 6,5x55 Swede with cast bullets but you can be sure I will check this thread very often to see if there is some knowledge around! :) I have been given a "sporterized" Husqvarna 1941 M-38 some times ago and while on the search for correct time period replacement stock and furnitures, I want to shoot it with cast bullets. Its barrel is made for the heavy roundnosed 160 grainers, with an 1 turn in 7" twist.
Lee doesn't make a mould for that caliber. Will have to be lyman or RCBS I guess... PP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm looking too. My Winchester Featherweight just doesn't like any of the jacketed stuff I've tried. :(

I recently acquired a Lyman 266 469 (about 140 grain RN GC Loverin), but have not had time to cast any yet.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
NITRO said:

Nitro,

In our experience, these rifles have very generous dimensions throats, so filling up the throats greatly enhances accuracy. The Swede guns have Carl Gustaff barrels with really uniform dimensions, and generally shoot the .266" diameter bullets very, very well by all accounts.

I would recommend skipping the .265" bullets, and going with the .266" exclusively. Seat the bullets out to slightly engrave the lands in the throat and they'll shoot like gangbusters! :)

Thanks for asking.

God Bless,

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marshall,

I recently ordered another batch of Beartooth Bullets. For the 6.5x55 I ordered the .266" 135 grain GC. I'll let you know how they shoot in the 29" barreled Swedish Mauser topped off with a 6-24x44AO "Trashco" scope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts