Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new gun, it is being done on a 700 BDL long action. I am having it done in 6.5 x 55 40deg improved. The parts are almost all here now , the barrel should be at the gunsmiths in the next ten days and he can get started on it. I am in no big rush for the gun as it will be 4 to 6 weeks to get the dies for it. I know there are a hundred other ways I could have gone with a 6.5 but I liked this one.
I have found a few loads for this round but could use any help form anyone with experience with this cartridge.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i have a 6.5x55AI built on an oberndorf M96 and i absolutely love it!! it is incredibly accurate with the barnes 130gr tsx and 55gr of ramshot magnum, i use lapua brass and rem91/2M primers. it chronos a very consistant 3050fps and if i do my part all shots will touch at 100yds. not bad for a 111 year old action that is still cock on close... i installed a #3 contour shilen barrel (one of brownells pre threaded, short chambered barrels) and fit a boyds dakota will stock to it and mounted an older leupold M8 fixed 7.5x scope on it. it's got a bold trigger and i had norman johnson modify the bolt shroud for a two position side swing... wonderful set up!!

you will absolutely love the cartridge!! easy to load, easy accuracy it's a real treat to work with!

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Big Dan,

That sounds like a very cool gun! Would you be able to post a picture of it so I can drool?? :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Dan
Thanks for the load.
I am having my built on a 700 long action. My gunsmith say I will not have to have the bolt face opened up even though the 6.5 X55 has a hair larger face.
I am thinking that with a modern action I will be able load a little hotter but by the sounds of your load there is not a lot of need for a hotter loads than the old action can handle. Plus it should give longer barrel life if I keep the loads below max for the gun.
Anything I have been able to find on the 6.5 x 55 says they shoot very well I am hopping that with a jewel trigger in 700 action and l go with an improved version it will be just more of a good thing.
Having said all that I find that taking a 100 plus year old action and making it shoot like you have done has a very special "cool" factor to it. I am sure you get lots of lookers when you take that gun to the range.
Thanks again for your post.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i'll see what i can do about posting a picture or two, i'm about as computer literate as a fence post but it's something i ought to learn to do anyway...

my thoughts on that load that i listed is that it's more than is necessary to take deer out to 300 or so yards, i might be able to go higher in terms of powder charge and velocity but i just don't see the need. besides i whine too much about wasting meat to bloodshot as it is so for deer i'll probably back it off to around 2800fps.. i really enjoy the 6.5x55 and i like to mess around with the old mausers so it has been a fun one. the one change i'm thinking about making which would be simple enough to do is to have the barrel fluted, that #3 pipe is rather stout and the overall package is a bit on the heavy side due to the barrel and the laminated stock but it's a keeper!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I too have a 6.5x55 Ackley. H4831SC is your friend, trust me on this. Win LR primers or Wolf LRM ( same priming compound as LR, but tougher cup ), a 142gr SMK or the 140gr AMax and you are gold. JLK makes some really nice bullets as well.

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html
This says 6.5-284, but the Ackley is *VERY* close to it. This is a good read for powder, primers, and bullets to use. Also Nosler just started making 6.5 swede brass, which is pretty good stuff, but pricey.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
North of 53, I have built a 6.5x55 A.I. about 2 years ago. My 6.5 is built on a Swede M96 Mauser with extensive custom work, E.R. Shaw barrel, richards thumbhole stock...ect. I have all the load development data from fire forming to final long range loads. There is a thread on www.mausercentral.com regarding the build with pictures and end results (4 rounds sub 1/4 moa typical) at 100yards. Also an article on the build was published in The Varmint Hunter Magazine, send me an e-mail if you want additional info. It's an amazingly accurate cartridge and 4831 worked best for final loads with 123grain Match Kings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob
thanks a lot for the info I will have a look.My gun is still a few month away the barrel is holding things up a little. Up here in Canada it can take a little longer to do a project because it is now getting harder to get some parts out of the US. A few of the guys are starting to look more to Europe for parts, not to sure how that's going for them.
Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your interested in some winter reading send me a pm with your address and I will drop a big envelope in the mail. Articles on Bob Jourdans 6.5x55 Ackely, my build and lots of load data...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts